No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Peach Vase with flower frog - ID = Walther "Toska"  (Read 2322 times)

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
Peach Vase with flower frog - ID = Walther "Toska"
« on: May 19, 2012, 08:40:26 AM »
Hi, Can anyone identify this vase.  I believe it to be Sklo Union but unable to find one the same, having carried research.   Rudolfova Jurnikl comes to light but not too sure now when looking at the colour and base design.  I maybe totally on the wrong track!  The Starburst to the base is deeply cut into the glass.  Along each fourth section of the vase (between chain link pattern design) , the joins are not smooth  on every fourth section and can be felt by touch from the top, three quarters of the way down.  Does this mean the vase was put together in four sections?  The vase maybe crystal, as it displays a shimmering, opalescent reflection and does not look the same as normal glass.  The Vase height is 13.4cm.  The opening dia. is 16.2cm.  Base dia. from point to point is 9.2cm.  Within the thickness of the vase (0.4cm) there are numerous air pockets.  It would be of great help if anyone can put a name to this vase and period made.

Offline JohnM

• Members
  • Newcomer
    • 20th C, Deco, Modern
    • UK
Re: Peach Sklo Union Vase?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2020, 04:11:09 PM »
This is the Toska pattern by Walther und Soehne and can be found im the 1934 catalogue.
John

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2020, 05:11:29 PM »
I've tried copying the 'Toska' page from Dieter Neumann's Musterbuch, which he'd very generously allowed Pamela Wessendorf to use  -  I was going to copy and paste the page so that it could be seen here  -  but I can't copy and paste, which may be an inbuilt protection for Dieter's work in supplying the catalogue.            The text page for 'Toska' is just that, no images, just pattern Nos., brief descriptions and some prices (including a 'blumenbowl mit einsatz'), and the only 'Toska' page with pix of designs doesn't include what I assume from the design here, is a flower bowl with insert/frog.

You may well be correct John  -  but I'm having a problem matching the piece here with the 'Toska' design  -  the op's pot lacks contrast and there's too much glare to see the pattern easily.              The 'Toska' pattern is simply a continuous repeat of large shallow scallops. with ridges between - does that sound right for the piece here? :) 

I found 'Toska' in the Walter 1933 catalogue  -  for some reason couldn't see the 1934 catalogue.

Should have added  …………..   anyone can view the original Walter 'Toska' catalogue pages by going to Pamela's glas-musterbuch.de, then running down to Deutschland and thence to Walter catalogue for 1933.

Offline JohnM

• Members
  • Newcomer
    • 20th C, Deco, Modern
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2020, 06:45:31 PM »
Thw 1934 catalague can be found in ...

https://www.pressglas-korrespondenz.de/aktuelles/pdf/pk-2001-3-4-mb-walther-1934.pdf

... scroll down to page 13 ... although it's difficult to read anything but the largest text. Nevertheless we are lucky to have the pictures and titles which are very useful.
John

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2020, 07:21:03 PM »
Zooming the 1934 catalogue clearly shows a blumenbowl mit einsatz

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2020, 08:03:42 PM »
thanks to both - and yes, the '34 catalogue is obviously better since it shows the flower vase and frog in clear detail, from which you can see that the pattern appears a little different on this item from most of the other shapes.                Am sure we do owe a lot to Dieter Neumann for sourcing and making these catalogues available.

Perhaps the Mods. will now amend the subject heading accordingly. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand