No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: rubina verde effect candlesticks - ID = Reich Viktoria variant  (Read 7473 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
I was fortunate enough to find a pair of these yesterday morning  -  I know there are pictures on the board, but just wondered if in the intervening time they had been attributed to a particular maker.        These do glow very well.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline mrvaselineglass

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.vaselineglass.org
Re: rubina verde sticks
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 12:07:59 PM »
Technically, these are not RUBINA VERDE.  While that original manufacturer name (by Hobbs, Brockunier & co) has gone generic in meaning, rubina verde is also a process where a small gather of cranberry is put on the pipe, then a larger gather of yellow uranium ('canary') went over the top of the cranberry.  When it was blown out, the cranberry stayed near the top, and was cased on the inside of the canary glass. 

These candle sticks were mold pressed, not mold blown (like rubina verde).  Two gathers of glass were put into the mold, one after the other, then pressed. 

Now that you have put up with me....I will give you the payoff!
REICH, a german company, made these in 1934.  The pattern is called VICTORIA and they came in at least two sizes.  I also have a pair of these.  One is the color you own, and the second one was made the same way, only using blue and pink as the color combination. 

I was stumped on these for over 10 years and finally came across a source someplace and wrote it down (and now keep the note with the candlesticks).  I don't recall where I got the information. 

Mr. Vaseline Glass

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 01:38:26 PM »
thanks very much for the correction regarding the name :)  -  in fact I was aware that they were mould pressed, although may have foregotten if you had previously corrected me regarding this process.       Perhaps we now need some suggestions as to what we should now call these 'pink/uranium coloured pressed candlesticks'  -  which seems too much of a mouthful.

Dave, are you being very specific insofar as saying that they were made by Reich, but only for the duration of 1934 - which seems a very limited production period  -  although I have to say my examples are only the second and third I've ever seen  -  and certainly never seen a blue and pink example, so there must be some rarity to them.                       Neither was I aware that there were two sizes.
I had half wondered last year when I found my first one, if they were part of a trinket set.......but no other trinket pieces seem to have come to light  -  just the sticks.

I notice that Pamela Wessendorf still has her single pink and uranium example listed as unattributed.

Offline mrvaselineglass

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 01:49:09 PM »
the "1934" may be a range before and after that time period.  It is just what I had on my note.  The style and color combination would suggest that time 'period'.

BI-COLOR PINK/URANIUM CANDLESTICK  might work for a name and still fit on ebay's letter-count limitation.

Dave

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 02:50:23 PM »
They may be Reich but they are not Viktoria (note German spelling).
This is Reich Viktoria http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de/kerzenhalter/07788.html

Offline mrvaselineglass

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 04:09:43 PM »
Christine
Yup....you are right.  It is coming back to me now. the COLOR COMBINATION was the same on a set of VIKTORIA that I saw.  the color hue was also identical.  I assumed (my bad!) that mine were a shorter version of VIKTORIA without the attached bobeche. 

Dave

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2012, 07:18:04 PM »
They are Reich, they were made from 1930 to at least 1934, according to Chris Stewart on Cloudglass.com, and are often found as part of the Viktoria trinket set. It seems from what I can find, there were two sets which appear under the Viktoria heading - the one shown as Viktoria in the 1930 catalogue to which Christine referred above, and the second with this type of candlestick and a narrower tray. The latter were not shown as Viktoria in the 1930 catalogue, but the pots and ringholder are the same catalogue numbers as those shown in the Viktoria set.

Chris says that the Viktoria set was introduced between 1925 & 1930, and in the 1930 Reich catalogue it is given as follows:
Tablett no. 4847, size 219 x 290mm
Pomadedose no. 4877, size 75mm
Puderdose no. 4878, size 90mm
Ringhalter no. 4904,
Leuchter mit leuchtertasse no. 4841, size 180mm high

The variant set with Viktoria pots & ringholder in the 1930 Reich catalogue is given as follows:
Tablett no. 4846, size 280 x 120mm
Pomadedose no. 4877, size 75mm
Puderdose no. 4878, size 90mm
Ringhalter no. 4904,
Leuchter no. 4749, size 115mm high 95mm diameter

Further info:
Cloud colours made: kobalt-bleu (cobalt blue); grau, (gray); tinten violett (inky violet); bernstein (amber).
Other colours made: rosa (clear pink & frosted pink); lindgrun (lime green); bernstein (amber); hell (clear), jade green; pink-green bi-colour.

If anyone has examples of these in any other colour please do let me know, so I can add to the GTS listing. Ta! :)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 08:51:24 AM »
thank you for the research Anne  -  very interesting :).         You will have seen from one of Dave's comments yesterday, ..........."only using blue and pink as the color combination"  -   that it would seem there are now two bicolour forms..........the uranium/pink and blue/pink.     I will keep an eye out for the latter, and it would be great to find the complete trinket set, in either of these bicolour versions.     

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2012, 11:13:23 AM »
Oh yes indeed Paul, if you find a full set I will demand photos for the GTS website!  :-*

I've just added the Viktoria page to the GTS website - slowly adding more info - one pattern a day seems manageable at the moment!  8)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline mrvaselineglass

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2012, 11:38:41 AM »
Anne (and anyone else):  Here is my set of candlesticks, and you can do whatever you want with the photo. 

Dave Peterson

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand