No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Cut Velvet Blue Vase - Anyone know the maker?  (Read 1737 times)

Offline SoManyCats

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Murano, Victorian
    • US
Re: Cut Velvet Blue Vase - Anyone know the maker?
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2020, 05:24:05 PM »
Thanks for not taking the correction badly!
We were all newbies to this at some time, we all had to learn as we went along - and it never stops. It's what makes glass such an interesting subject. :)
You should really try to get to go and watch glassmaking in action if you possibly can.
The more you learn about different techniques and how difficult something is to make, the better you will be able to judge quality.

I should also say, this soft acid treated surface you describe as "velvet" is officially called satin.  ;D

Thanks! While this vase would be considered satin, would the pattern itself not be called "cut velvet"? I came across the term while I was researching this and it seemed to apply to this raised diamond pattern used in this vase.
Kerri

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2020, 06:12:30 PM »
I've never heard of it. But I haven't seen a moulded piece with this kind of strapping on the surface before either.
I just know what "satin airtrap" looks like.
Can you tell us where you found the term? You'd be teaching me. ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline SoManyCats

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Murano, Victorian
    • US
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2020, 06:27:03 PM »
I've never heard of it. But I haven't seen a moulded piece with this kind of strapping on the surface before either.
I just know what "satin airtrap" looks like.
Can you tell us where you found the term? You'd be teaching me. ;D

Ah, I understand. So I using a Google Image search to find similar vases and someone described a similar one as "cut velvet", and when I looked up that term it seemed to come up mostly with raised diamond pattern vases that looked like this one, instead of the flatter version I'd been seeing.

And then catshome was kind enough to share this link(https://www.slideshare.net/mobile/munciepots/phoenix-glass-companys-celebrated-webb-glass-18831888) earlier today, and on slide 73 they show several vases in a similar style and it's apparently called Phoenix Glass Company's "'Cut Velvet' Line" so as far as I can tell it's an appropriate term. I just really love this raised style so anything that makes it easier to search for in the future makes me happy!
Kerri

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2020, 07:08:06 PM »
 :) Thanks.
My personal interest is in more modern glass. The Studio sort. I know virtually nothing about older American glass, and very little about older from elsewhere.
But I'll dive in on anything related to glass in case I find out anything more. :-[
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand