No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Heat to repair lamp worked / hot formed glass sculptures?  (Read 1827 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Heat to repair lamp worked / hot formed glass sculptures?
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2012, 06:27:18 PM »
quote.............."It is done with ceramics, jewellery , furniture and books etc. throughout the Antiques Trade."        Unfortunately, the antiques trade in general, is not known for it's transparence or honesty  -  they're in business to make money  -  which doesn't mean there aren't some honest dealers, but they are few and far between.

The matter at heart is whether or not you are destroying the integrity and originality of the article in question, and it's hard to find fault with the proposal that if you can't tell the difference between a restored/repaired piece and a perfect original, then where's the problem.       However, I'd take exception to the fact that Emmi includes books.........current thinking is that because of the material and nature of these things, then it's best to leave well alone  -  isolate the object into a box or whatever, and reduce deterioration to a minimum.     Unfortunately, there is a feeling that conservationists go too far with this ethos, and then because of their fragility, these things then remain out of bounds to most of us.         The original construction of books has sometimes been quite complex, and it really is fair comment to say that will nilly rebinding would obviously destroy much of the evolution of a books life.         But I'd agree that if it's undetectable on glass, ceramics, and jewellery, and provided it's not the Portland Vase, it shouldn't be a problem.

There is probably a difference here as to whether we are speaking of museum property or material in the commercial world.   I doubt that the V. & A. would start sticking bits back on, or filing chipped edges  -  but a dealer would if they thought it would make extra bucks, and remain undetected........... and anyway, don't collectors want pieces that look perfect :)   

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2012, 08:41:13 PM »
Basil Loveridge now in Brackley I can vouch for his work and no I didn't 'declare' the repair must have slipped my mind.

http://www.yell.com/b/Basil+Loveridge+Glass+Restoration-Antique+Repair+and+Restoration-Brackley-NN137AX-3800657/index.html

Also Redhouse glass in Stourbridge too.

http://heartofenglandglass.co.uk/trade-industry/executive-crystal/

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2012, 03:43:23 AM »

How flattering that folk hang on my every word from yonks ago!  ;D

:) It is you who flatter me Sue,  by thinking I should  have such a good memory!!!! ::)  I was simply searching for some details on Basil's restoration skills and discovered you already know how good he is !

Offline scavo

• Members
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2012, 06:10:39 PM »
Thanks everyone for your comments.

As the pieces I am considering were bought to resell, either as are - or repaired, the costs would have to be warranted in the resale value. I believe the heron I have is worth $300 - $400 (in perfect condition) but the the fish remains an unknown as yet.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2012, 09:27:46 AM »
I got taken out to an antiques centre at the weekend, where I saw a lovely Sumida pottery vase - it's a kind of ceramic I think is particularly lovely, although this one was flowery rather than having the little figures all over it. They are particularly prone to damage. The vase was clearly labelled "Restored, which is reflected in the price."
Honest and straightforward, you know where you are with that sort of seller, you know there will be no quibbling about the price and it's up to you whether or not you want it.

Given you are a seller, I would think you might be as well leaving it up to your buyer whether or not they want to do something with it (whatever the final outcome  ::) ) rather than agonising over it yourself and spending your time as well as your cash on it.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand