No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Goats head goblet pressed turquoise blue marbled opaline glass  (Read 4128 times)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Goats head goblet pressed turquoise blue marbled opaline glass
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2012, 03:27:43 PM »
 ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Online Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2012, 03:56:01 PM »
Ivo Haanstra defines malachite as green. Slack seems mainly to use malachite in connection with Sowerby and often with a defining colour. The Sowerby catalogues just use malachite. Greener had light and dark malachite, which implies two shades of the same colour: green?

Perhaps it is a term best avoided unless in connection with Sowerby or those companies known to have produced it in green: Loetz, Desna, St Louis (which trademarked it), etc.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2012, 09:51:15 PM »
oooh, I'm very glad this has generated such a lively and interesting discussion and thank you so much to you all for taking a look and giving information.   I bought it to do precisely that  :)  I have nothing else like this, I don't collect pressed glass, but I do read others posts and when I found it I didn't recall seeing anything like it before (I probably paid way too much for it as well, but having not bought anything much recently I thought why not).

I'd read quite a few posts on malachite/slag/milk/ marbled opaline (and then vitro porcelain after Paul's post) and just got incredibly confused about what it actually is. It is turquoise, it appears to be a form of translucent opaline glass and it does have fine white swirls and streaks in it.  You can actually see a very fine thin clear gap between the white streaks and the blue glass on some swirls, so it sort of looks like they didn't mix the turquoise properly, rather than looking like the marbled glass I've seen advertised as 'slag' glass where the white streaks are more defined and pronounced.

Thank you to all  also for taking the time out to go through books and check details for me on maker and substance of glass - I really appreciate that.

Sue and bfg  - bfg yours seems to be the same as mine  :) I am all over the place at the moment, but I'm pretty much sure it is a goat  ;D (and to me it looks like Billy Goat Gruff lol) it is really detailed and well modelled.  But I will now do some searches  on Pan/satyr and mythological creatures and report back. 
Ken thank you for doing that, and I will email the contact you gave and see what might transpire.  I'll post back. 

Edited to add -
I found this info on malachite/pressed glass colours from the site 'pressed in time'
http://www.pressedintime.com/Colours.htm
and I have looked up Satyr and Pan and it seems to be a characteristic (please do correct me if I'm wrong) that they have 'partly human-like' facial features, whereas the goat on my goblet is definitely animal but with no hint of human ;D
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2012, 10:47:34 PM »
Rocco posted a link on another thread and when I clicked on it a black pressed glass goblet or 'pokal' came up  - I will try and do a search in German  :)

well I did find this
http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/9498817
a stein that is completely different, but it does have the diamond molded pattern on it all round but then a bearded goat at the front.  I am wondering now if my piece is a pokal and is German.
m

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2012, 05:52:15 AM »
I know thse beer glasses in  clear and frosted and they were made by Saint Louis:-) circa 1870s.  Pk has done an extensive study into these - though i cannot remember if milk glass and bleu celeste were in the books. They turn up in Germany quite often - as Saint Louis was under German occupation at the time.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2012, 09:21:08 AM »
Thank you Ivo  :) :)
whilst the molds are obviously different and the execution of the design on the stein 'appears' to be deeper or more crisp than my milk glass version, comparing the goats, they either come from the same design( or one has been copied) as they are so close in detail.
I will go and see what I can find on St Louis and bleu celeste
Many thanks!
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2012, 11:55:58 AM »
there is another stein here as well (but I'm pretty sure it is a goat not a ram)
http://www.rubylane.com/item/97248-rl1192/Antique-Beer-Stein-Glass-Rams

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2012, 12:45:46 PM »
If it has a handle it is a stein. The frosted one is certainly by st.louis. if there is no handle it is a bock...

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2012, 12:58:18 PM »
thanks  :) I have also found it useful to search for Fußbecher in respect of mine which is not a Stein.  BTW when I search for pokal, the same type of thing comes up as Fußbecher - is there a difference in meaning between the two?  I know Fußbecher means footed beaker or goblet I presume, but does 'pokal' mean the same or is that always supposed to be a covered goblet?
m

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2012, 01:24:59 PM »

A Pokal does not have to be covered, i think in general it is larger than a Fussbecher - but it is open to interpretation.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand