No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Amber oval asymmetrical bowl  (Read 684 times)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Amber oval asymmetrical bowl
« on: June 04, 2012, 07:27:05 PM »
I'm not sure how best to describe this, it reminds me of a slipper bath more than anything in shape!

It's a shallow oval dish, with a polished pontil mark on the base. The rim has a slight raised thickness to it. The colour is a toffee amber. Size is 10¾" x 7¾" and it is 3½" to the highest point of the rim.  For metric people that equates to 275mm x 198mm, and 89mm high.

There's no evidence of any maker's mark, and I'm stumped as to who might have made it. Any suggestions where to look please?
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
Re: Amber oval asymmetrical bowl
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 11:39:33 AM »
It does remind me of those IKEA bowls from around 2000, which I see quite often in charity shops and fleamarkets here, usually with the clear plast label with the glassblower:
> Link 1
> Link 2

They have been discussed on the board before, probably made in Poland.

But there is surely the possibility that the similarity is a coincidence, and yours is from a totally different maker...

Michael

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 07:10:10 PM »
Similar shapes came from most of the big Scandinavian factories during the '50's and '60's, and Whitefriars/Baxter offered one or two designs vaguely similar ish I believe.     Think we tend to call them 'free-formed' - 'free-blown' or sculptural, and most of the better ones were cased.
But as Michael has said, also knocked out by eastern Europe in more recent times, and probably impossible to id, unless you have the label.
The early ones from Sandinavia were signed, sometimes, Holmegaard for example, and fetch decent money I believe. 

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 11:23:18 PM »
Michael and Paul, thank you - mine looks very much like the blue one Michael linked too, so IKEA it probably is.  Free-form was the term I was hunting for and failed to conjure out of the depths of my memory!

It looks nice on my orange/amber window sill with the big bottle vase and the small Bohemian pot.  :)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand