No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: (Themed) glass displays - show me yours, I'll show you mine... part 4  (Read 327830 times)

Offline BlueOctopus

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Glass in all forms ages
    • Germany
Re: (Themed) glass displays - show me yours, I'll show you mine... part 4
« Reply #260 on: October 30, 2019, 04:19:03 PM »
So I go on with my collection
we are still in the bathroom, on the left side you see some aerometer, you can measure the density of fluids with these, you may know them from car batterys. in front of the aerometers is a weighing boat out of deer horn/ antler

then right from the old tin boxes two very old apothecary glasses are following, these I think are 1850 or older. The glass is very violett from manganium and the labes are hand written/painted by I think maybe cold enemal. Then a collection of funny glasses are following, the most seldom one is that with the papermachee cover to protect from light, that is in very good condition. And i think funny is the small bottle in the front with the diamond shape stopper, how delicat for a simple iodine bottle. The iodine is still in... the stopper is absolutely frozen in.

Hope you enjoyed them
monika

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
Re: Re: (Themed) glass displays - show me yours, I'll show you mine... part 4
« Reply #261 on: October 30, 2019, 05:14:30 PM »
Wow, Monika, what lovely displays you have made, and your views around your home are beautiful.  I think we would have had a lot of fun searching for glass together!
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #262 on: October 30, 2019, 05:20:10 PM »
I haven't got past droo-oooling over your case of beautiful graded density meters...
I want to watch them bobbing around in different molarities of salt solutions.  ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline BlueOctopus

• Members
    • Germany
« Reply #263 on: October 30, 2019, 05:36:50 PM »
Thanks you both. Yes old Lab glas is sometimes very funny. Tomorrow I show you 2 very funny items, one will be a riddle, but I know the answer ??? ;D

@ cat: I would love to dig in all your traesure boxes, that will be like digging for gemstones and finding them at least.

Today I will go on with my dining room and the big entrance of this farming house.

Monika

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #264 on: October 30, 2019, 05:43:13 PM »
Don't give us the answer!  ;D
I can remember when glass coils for Gas-Liquid-Chromatography had to be hand blown and packed, activated and conditioned. No buying "ready made" coils in!
I'm ready for your challenge. 8)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline BlueOctopus

• Members
    • Germany
« Reply #265 on: October 30, 2019, 06:04:17 PM »
Now we are comming to the dining room. One Ceiling only for 70th Zwiesel designed by Heinrich Löffelhard. A little place is offered to Bitossi Ceramics designed by Aldo Londi series rimini blue

on the cupboard 3X Myra WMF and eisch 1990 in the Middle

Now my favorits in the entrance, I call it the nature corner. the pink plate from Walther glass Nymphen from the 30th. Left hand side new Walther Glass Bad Driburg bowl and jug with swans, the serie is called Schwanensee which is an opera. Then InwaldcCherries and Inwald/Libs Vase with seehorses. The small Manganium coloured bowl is from Valerysthal 1917 and the big pot is atributed to inwald. Neptuns horses, Mr Geiselberger from Pressglas korrespondenz is doubting that. He ment that the provinence will be unknown for the rest of the days, he thinks it is Rosice.

More soon, through my Collection
Mnika

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #266 on: October 30, 2019, 06:23:47 PM »
I got my first Bitossi cat in Pisa in '76, brand new from a street stall. It cost me every penny of my "holiday spending money".  :)
I still have it - and a few friends.
What is the clear ball with grey applied strapping underneath your shelf in the first photo?
I have a vase with green strapping which looks very closely related - it has a rectangular yellow and foil label which reads "Made in Western Germany" - but I have never managed to find out the maker.

You need an Inwald forest vase to add to your nature corner.  ;)
http://www.artnet.com/artists/josef-inwald/in-the-forest-vase-7aloup8dZHvzbw11cw8aRA2
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline BlueOctopus

• Members
    • Germany
« Reply #267 on: October 30, 2019, 06:56:40 PM »
they grey clear vase... I don´t have a clou. For me it is the second choose :'(

it is not made well, sharpe edges and very untidy. I never found out as well, but I think it is 70th, and I think German

the wood vase of inwald, or better the elephant vase, I would love it, but absolutely too expensive.

the seehorse vase is a new copy, they only way to pay it :-\ :'(

I just posted the riddle.. and it got lost in the net.. grrrr

So once again please

Monika

Offline BlueOctopus

• Members
    • Germany
« Reply #268 on: October 30, 2019, 07:10:13 PM »
Sue wanted a riddle, here it is. If anybody solves it, I will send one of my old aerometers as reward.

Funny labware, here we are.

left hand only funny , no riddle,  astopper for boiling to drip the condensed liqid back
in the middle the smallest round bottom flask I ever saw wnd I never saw one again, the stopper is nearly to big.

Now on the right side my riddle. a flat tiny disc , mothblown with quite a big neck/ stopper.  The history of this: when I was 17 (43 years ago) I learned in a company which celebrated its 100 birthday. The area was near the habour of Hamburg and drowned evere 10 years in a flood, so they decided to move. In one forgotten corner of the store a big wooden box packed with the lab Equipment of 100 years. So i had to unpack it and to see what moves, what goes to the rubbish and what dissapears into my bag.. this disc dissappeared. One hint... the stopper is not to remove. Any clou what you see?  I would never had known it when it had not that Label what got lost unfortunately.

the last funny labthing is this filterzylinder. the stopper goes down to the bottom and has a glassfrit... a glass swamp.. in the end wher you can press the liquid through.

Now I post this first without the pics, because this is the second time I write this, first everything got lost in space.
Photos will come in some minutes
monika

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #269 on: October 30, 2019, 08:20:20 PM »
I have seen tiny tubes like your B7, but have not used them. I have used glass filters, of many descriptions in various labs although they often came in big ceramic funnels.
I am mystified by your riddle after all!
I can't quite work out the shape - on one pic it looks like a flattened bubble, in the other, it looks as if there is a rim around the outside?

I am imagining it could be used as a flexible stopper for something that produces a gas, slowly?
The weight of the metal would hold it down, but enough pressure would release some of it, from under the weight of the metal, while preserving the "head-space" of the gas released above the liquid?

Or, it could be an early sort of flexible plug for a sink!  ;D

(Our German '70s not best, but not dreadful glass, will remain a mystery for now.  ::) )
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand