No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: machine threaded candlesticks for dating.  (Read 602 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
machine threaded candlesticks for dating.
« on: June 26, 2012, 04:11:03 PM »
I think machine threading started about 1870 ish, although no real idea when it stopped, so unsure of a date for these - but this decorative effect is seen commonly on late C19 material.          Quite short at 3.5" - 90mm only - and can't imagine they're part of a trinket set, but you never know.     Ground/polished flat across the entire base - but without any marks, and one has been in the wars with repair to the top, where you can see the colour of the glue.   Definitely manual threading and not a mould effect.     Maximum base diameter is about 3.3/8" -85mm.          The top rims are also ground/polished and very slightly bevelled.               Do people think they look deco  ish perhaps - and how about country of origin?           All thoughts welcome and thanks for looking :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: machine threaded candlesticks for dating.
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 06:18:43 PM »
I think they might be match strikers for the table. Late 19C sounds good.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 06:21:10 PM »
oh so with the hole in the top to hold the matches?  They are great design!
m

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 06:37:59 PM »
thanks Christine  -  in fact I meant to say I thought the threading might have been used to strike the light for the candles - but forgot.
Also should have said they both had candle wax around the top, so had obviously been used for this purpose  -  the threading doesn't appear to be clogged with phosphorus, although they might have been cleaned.          And of course they are a pair, which is more akin to how you'd find candlesticks.          Maybe they were multipurpose  -  candlesticks and table match strikers, but I'll go with the date then - origin unknown then. :)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 06:46:46 PM »
mm, thinking about it, weren't old matches fairly long as well, so they would fall out of the top  ::)
m

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 07:18:49 PM »
I've a feeling you're right m.......although I've just measured three other machine threaded known match strikers (round ones) and they have very similar 'match depths' to these examples..........about 26/27mm.       Christine may well be correct, and this pair were commandered for candlesticks, possibly, much later in their life when their original use as match strikers had long gone out of fashion. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand