No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Show and tell - Riedel Joe Colombo Smoke glasses - social history!  (Read 2842 times)

Offline jakgene

• Members
  • Mrs Doasyouwouldbedoneby
    • Mid 20 Century glass
    • Australia
I recently bought this pair of wine glasses - once I had seen them and researched a bit about Joe Colombo I was fascinated by the social history of them. Designed so that you can smoke and drink at the same time with one hand. (what was the other one doing I wonder!) 
See this link  http://www.designboom.com/history/joecolombo_smoke.html .  What a commentary on the lifestyle of the early 1960's. Wouldn't be surprised to see these turn up on Mad Men .

Not a good advert for his lifestyle, sadly Joe Colombo died at 41 from a heart attack.

They are 15 cm or 6 inches tall, and 7 cm or 2.5 inches diameter across the bowl so would hold a good sized glass of wine.
The "Joe Colombo" and "CJ Riedel" marks  are moulded into the foot on opposite sides.

Thought they were interesting and just wanted to share  :D
JAK
West Oz.
jakgene
Western Australia
Mid 20 Century Glass
British Glass, Scandinavian Glass, Murano Glass,
Paperweights. (and anything gorgeous!)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
They are phantastic -- and quite hard to find; the top is so thinly blown that they break easily -- I have made that experience.

I own 7 champagne glasses from this range (there were 9 once ::)) >> Link

I love Joe Colombo's designs, he was surely one of the most influential designers of the 1960s. I have two of his plastic lamps for Kartell as well, and several of those multifunctional storage containers (BOBY).
There is a good book available, which features almost all of his designs: "Joe Colombo: Inventing the Future"

Michael

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
The dirty raincoat fags and funny eye always put me off  but he always solved the cases . :-[ ;)or was it a cigar ?

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Perhaps that joke doesn't work in Oz.........bet if I'd said that the blackboard rubber would come out.    From memory I think it was a glass eye.

BUT.........these are quirky and interesting  -  very desirable - congratulations JAK.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline jakgene

• Members
  • Mrs Doasyouwouldbedoneby
    • Mid 20 Century glass
    • Australia
Thanks all - and yes - I got the joke jp - I didn't leave the Uk until 1975.  ;D (and it was a cigar)
And I will be sure to be careful with the rims rocco - would hate to break one.

I was amazed when I looked into his designs how many of them I recognised - without having ever heard of him before. Would love a Boba!

The glasses are so well balanced they fit beautifully in the hand.

Jackie
jakgene
Western Australia
Mid 20 Century Glass
British Glass, Scandinavian Glass, Murano Glass,
Paperweights. (and anything gorgeous!)

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID