No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: George Elliott 1901  (Read 2515 times)

Offline bOBA

• Members
Re: George Elliott 1901
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2015, 10:48:12 PM »
A really nice piece Chris. George Elliott made a wide variety of interesting glass. I think his work is becoming increasingly recognised and appreciated by collectors of vintage studio glass.
It is great that his daughter has visited GMB. Although I do not know his work very well, I am pretty sure his studio was located in the passageway as you walk through Bewdley museum in the centre of town, which can still be visited, where there are still studios, craft shops, leading to a cafe and park. I would happily be corrected on any details!! (I did wonder if this recent thread post may be an unsigned piece by him, by coincidence... http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,59556.0.html)

Robert (bOBA)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2015, 10:58:21 PM »
I think a lot of his stuff goes unrecognised his signature is a pig to decipher if your not familiar with it.
If you didn't know this said George Elliot I don't think you would ever work it out :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2015, 11:27:18 PM »
Thanks Chris, nice to see another example. He did a wide range of things.  His signature is certainly not always necessarily legible in the traditional sense! This could be said of quite few studio glassmakers and designers, which adds to the fun really. (Peter Leyton and V. Zahour spring to mind.....) I saw a hand-shaped bulbous clear, signed bottle he had made, at a Fair in Solihull and the seller possibly didn't quite believe me when I said it was probably a modern studio piece made in Bewdley by George Elliott. Most pieces of his I have seen tend to be more colourful though and the style of his glass helps identify it. I have seen a goblet of his with similar feather effect decor to your bottles. I expect he made a really wide range of pieces, as his style often seems led by enthusiasm for exploration and experiment in the studio movement tradition.

Robert (bOBA)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand