No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Royal Embassy Ware Czechoslovakia - Mystery set #113  (Read 5879 times)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Royal Embassy Ware Czechoslovakia - Mystery set #113
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2020, 02:18:48 PM »
You might be right Anne. The glow is not all over even

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2020, 04:27:16 PM »
That's what made me wonder Christine.  Thanks for looking. x
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline theElench

• Members
    • Art Deco
    • England
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2020, 06:27:37 AM »
I'll do some more photos from different angles when I get back from work.  A quick check with this one next to a couple of others shows it isn't quite as bright. 

But it is brighter than a small Davidson bowl and a blue Inwald bowl that both glow weakly and I assume have Manganese rather than Uranium in them.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but my first "test" is whether or not the glow shows up easily on photos.  I've found that to my eyes a piece might appear to glow quite well, but if photographed, glows so weakly that the picture hardly picks up any glowing at all.   To me that indicates Manganese.

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2020, 08:08:51 AM »
It looks like uranium to me. I've got quite a few pieces that don't glow very brightly which I'm sure are uranium. Correct me if I'm wrong but Manganese was originally put in to get rid of the green tinge that occurred in clear glass due to the presence of iron oxide in the sand they used. There may be another reason for using Manganese but I'm not sure they would have done this if they were trying to produce green glass.
"I hear you're a racist now father!" Father Ted.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2020, 01:17:04 PM »
Manganese appears in all sorts of colours. It seems likely to me that coloured batches were often based on the master clear recipe. The uranium glow is always bright

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2020, 04:27:55 PM »
Recently on another thread, Paul S. recommended a book on uranium glass by Barrie Skelcher. I’ve not seen the book but there is an interesting article by Skelcher on uranium glass for the Glass Association here: http://www.glassassociation.org.uk/sites/default/files/Uranium_Glass_sample_article.pdf

In plate 3 he shows glass with high uranium content that doesn’t react at all to uv and items that show various levels of uv reaction that isn’t proportional to uranium content. “...in  some  glasses, especially  those  with  a  high  lead  content,  the  fluorescence  is  so weak  that  there  is  an  element  of  uncertainty”.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline theElench

• Members
    • Art Deco
    • England
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2020, 09:56:06 PM »
Haven't read the article yet, will save it for tomorrow when my eyes are not so tired.

As promised more pics. of the 113 pot.

One and two in comparison with a Bagley pot which to me is definitely Uranium glass.  While the Bagley is certainly brighter, some of the extra brightness is related to the thickness of the glass?

Three is comparing it to a green Davidson bowl.  To the naked eye the Davidson bowl under UV has an all-over weak greenish, yellowy glow but the photo doesn't pick this up at all, indicating Manganese?

Four is with the blue stem holder from an Inwald bowl.  The glass is thicker, showing the weak glow a little better,  But again to the naked eye it much more noticeable than in the photo indicating Manganese?

In both three and four the 113 pot's glow is noticeably stronger, indicating Uranium?   

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2020, 07:39:47 PM »
Much as I respect Barrie's work, I'm not sure about the accuracy of those particular claims, as my high-uranium content glass has a knock your socks off glow

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2020, 02:03:07 PM »
In Skelcher’s article he goes into some detail on the technique to determine uranium content using a Beta sensitive Geiger counter, including calibration against known batch compositions. He mentions other more costly or inconvieniant methods, such as chemical analysis or gamma spectrometry, but using the Geiger counter looks to be his preferred method. He doesn’t specify which method was used to analyse uranium content in the glass shown in plate 3, but it seems inconceivable that he showed those glasses without confirming their uranium content with at least the Geiger counter method.

If he was wrong about the uranium content in the glass shown, and his accompanying text explaining problems relying on a uv source, then it would seem he would have to be wrong in his Geiger counter technique that looks to be a foundation of his work. I find this unlikely. He says .“...in some [uranium] glasses, especially those with a high lead content, the fluorescence is so weak that there is an element of uncertainty”, that is a clear statement, one would assume proven by his research.

What I take from the article is that if an item is relatively early, say pre 1940 and has a strong uv reaction (glow) then it contains uranium. If it has a weaker glow then it might contain just as much uranium but it would have to be confirmed or denied using an alternative technique. I don’t doubt that glow from manganese is the cause of weak glow in many glass items but that doesn’t necessarily account for every item with a weak glow.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2020, 04:35:54 PM »
Has anyone any experience of the cheaper Geiger counters and "radiation detectors" available online? It would seem they would be the only reliable  means of detecting radiation but I'm very sceptical about whether they work.
"I hear you're a racist now father!" Father Ted.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand