No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Clear trinket set with ‘feathered’ fan decoration - ID = Ernst Buder  (Read 4157 times)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Ernst Buder Set 560.
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2020, 03:59:27 PM »
All the Buder pieces I've handled have seemed fairly sturdy, so I'm not sure your suggestion will hold water to be honest.  I would suspect the damage "in transit" is more to do with thermal shock / temperature changes causing issues rather than anything else, but wouldn't like to say so for certain. 

I've added a few more photos to the Buder section as they've come in, but there are still a fair few we've not seen examples of yet, sadly.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline theElench

• Members
    • Art Deco
    • England
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2020, 07:18:22 AM »
Your suggestion that the damage could be thermal shock really does make a lot of sense.  I invariably pick up parcels from the local DO and they are always cold.  When I unpack them the glass is far colder than room temperature, it's as though it's been in a fridge.

It could also explain why they were damaged in "odd" places, not places where they are likely to be knocked.  The underside of the lid rim and the inside edge of the pin dish.  Even without layers of bubble-wrap, tissue paper and card, it would be difficult knock them at such an angle to knock off flakes.

Love the new pictures, they are evidently not as difficult to find as I thought and perhaps more examples of buyers mixing things up, as I would have put a 352 candlestick and a 205 large oval tray with the 530 set.

The 204 tray shown with the 530 set is the one I would have thought more appropriate with the 510 set. 

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2020, 03:31:43 PM »
I think that because there are several trays in the same or similar patterns it takes us back to the buyer choosing to make up sets to suit their own marketplace. Trying to catalogue sets sometimes doesn't work because of this mix and match option available to buyers whether wholesale or retail. 

As to the damage around the edge of the lid and rim of the dish, this is usually caused by usage, picking the lid up and putting back on can and does cause flakes to be chipped away, and not all ebay (etc) sellers notice these or think they are worth mentioning.  Cracks through pieces are more likely to be thermal shock, whilst when something arrives in bits like a jigsaw you can be sure it's either poor packaging or poor handling in transit.  I always leave a package or even something I've bought from a charity shop in the packaging it arrived into come up to the ambient temperature in the house, before unpacking it.  Then when washing it I do it in warm water not hot, as hot water can cause thermal shock as well, and cause cracks to appear in pieces that otherwise appear to be sound. Glass is funny like that - it's like it has an invisible crack which can suddenly become visible when the temperature changes suddenly.

Talking of new pictures, I've just added some unfrosted amber candlesticks to Reich 8792 gallery - the first time I've seen these!

Offline theElench

• Members
    • Art Deco
    • England
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2020, 09:06:35 AM »
Could a way forward be by referring back to the catalogue and looking for larger ranges with the same pattern and showing "idealised" sets on GTS,  with a note on the Buder  title page to explain the mixing and matching for commercial reasons.

Looking through the catalogue (from memory) there were several sets that were part of larger ranges including tableware.  If we accept that pin dishes might also be salts, could the same principle also be applied for some trays and powder bowls?

E.G.  The 530 set as shown in the catalogue, plus a 205 large tray, the 033 pin dish and 352 candlestick would make a seven piece set with consistent design.  Wouldn't that be consistent with other manufactures who sold small "basic" sets but with optional "add-ons" to make up larger ones.

At the moment there are photos of one set with pieces of others mixed together, pieces obviously part of sets but not shown in the catalogue, so not "known pieces".

Offline theElench

• Members
    • Art Deco
    • England
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2020, 09:45:40 AM »
Going back to the damaged pieces.

When I unwrapped them the flakes were inside the wrappings, still in position, under the tissue-paper.

I'm always very careful when washing glass to only use warm water since hearing a "click" and finding a handle had cracked across its join with a Chippendale bowl.  I'll have to learn to be more patient and resist the temptation to tear open boxes as soon as I get them to let them warm up slowly.  Sad to think that they were probably not damaged in transit but were intact until I unwrapped them :'(

Offline Jayne

• Members
    • Trinket Sets, Uranium, Varied,
    • England, UK
Another Ernst Buder 560 Trinket Set thread here for merging please mods.

https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,69097.0.html

GTS site Ernst Buder 560 link:

https://www.glasstrinketsets.com/cms3/german/ernst-buder/560-561
Please help identify Mystery Glass Trinket Sets
https://www.glasstrinketsets.com/Gallery/

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Merged. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum