No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Sam Herman anyone?  (Read 10615 times)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Sam Herman anyone?
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2019, 11:47:52 AM »
I failed at geography, Trevor.  :-[
I make the same sort of mistake about my own country too, put west coast places on the east and vice versa.  ::)
The book "Sam Herman" is published by Lund Humphries and can be ordered directly from their website. I do recommend it very highly. It has only just been published, I don't imagine copies will be "around" places yet. It's not expensive, but it looks and feels like it is. The photography is superb and empathetic.
They're not paying me. ;)

Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2019, 03:23:00 PM »
It certainly does look and feel expensive... my Hubby treated me to a copy a few weeks ago, and it is magnificent.
With that and the new Mdina Book from a friend in Malta, I have been thoroughly spoiled!
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline brewster

• Members
    • Australia
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2019, 09:46:46 PM »
I've put the Sam Herman book on my birthday wish list - and assisted with placing the order.
See my blog on Australian studio glass. There is now a Facebook page with Australian glass news.
The Glass Puzzles page is back on Facebook. Log in to leave a comment.

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
    • https://www.pinterest.com/annetiquebe/
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2019, 11:07:59 AM »
Received my copy this morning, beautiful, really pleased with it!

Re the coding at VSL, the pieces I have shown in other threads are all signed differently. They all have the Sam Herman signature, the very large vase is signed V200, dated 1989, the smaller one is signed and marked Val St Lambert,  has a number VAL125 and the other large one just the number 252 next to the VSL mark, but both dated 1979.

I guess with so many pieces it's unavoidable to come across these differences.

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2023, 03:35:08 PM »
Hi M,

Regarding your early studio glass vase shown in reply 9 with the unknown signature.

I stumbled across another early studio piece which is owned by Mark Hill which he has recently tentatively attributed to Bernard Rooke. The 'Rooke' signature looks very similar to my eyes. According to Mark, Bernard Rooke briefly experimented with glass and previously had a studio in Suffolk around the late 70s.

Please see below link:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CxNumdYoP4B/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

If you view the above link in the Instagram app, it also shows you a picture of the signature.

Best Regards
Greg

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2023, 03:54:59 PM »
Oh thank you so much Greg!  I will take a good look later. I'd not known that about Bernard Rooke - very interesting.

m

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2023, 03:57:36 PM »
You're welcome, I think the signature looks like a good fit.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2023, 04:30:16 PM »
I think the signature is a definite id and match.

The letters are formed in exactly the same way and the appearance of the signature very similar.  My R is missing the top bit so looks like Kooke , i.e. a K because the top loop of the R would have gone over the very curvy bottom edge of the vase so.

I'm super happy with that as a match!  Thanks so much Greg.  Let's hope Mark Hill is right.

I can't remember if I did a thread on this one but if so would you mind if I link to that link?  I've not got Instagram (had to get one of the kids to do it for me) so I hope Mark Hill might put it on his site somewhere?

thanks
m

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2023, 04:46:43 PM »
It's funny, I can't remember much from yesterday but remembered the signature on your vase!

Please feel free to use the link, it's a shame you have to view in the app to see the signature. There' are some interesting comments which I don't know if you saw which seem to also corroborate the attribution.

The below site also has a mention of Bernards studio in Suffolk and a link to the current studio run by his son. Perhaps his son may be able to help further regarding your piece....

http://www.studiopottery.com/cgi-bin/mp.cgi?item=149

Sorry M, just noticed the link in the above website no longer works. It might be worth checking to see if they are still an active concern.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2023, 04:57:43 PM »
Thanks Greg.  I had just looked up that link and was going to write to him (great minds and all that :) )

I will write to him with pictures.  Just tried to upload a thread for it but failed somehow  ::) Will try again in a mo.

m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand