No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Strathearn - 4 of them  (Read 2038 times)

Offline dfernbach

• Members
Strathearn - 4 of them
« on: April 24, 2006, 10:29:03 AM »
Once again I come to the Board looking for some assistance in marketing some of my Dad's paperweights!   :?  :oops:

These are the Strathearns I still have.  Number 76 was placed on ebay yesterday.  The others will be showing up someday!

If you've read my descriptions on ebay, you know that I love to give as much information as I can, and that is one major reason (in my mind at least) that people are willing to bid aggressively on my items.  It suddenly occurred to me that I do an awful job of "marketing" the Strathearn weights!  There is SO MUCH information available - especially on Kev'a web site!

For Strathearn paperweights, I generally just describe them as Scottish and as beautiful, but have never included good info such as the Strathearn designation (those "P" numbers that throw me completely when I look at Kev's site) and the approximate date the weight was made.
 :oops:

Yes Kev, I've tried to identify my weights using your site, but as my grandmother used to tell me - 'YOU'LL GO BLIND DOING THAT'.  It's just too too difficult for a poor sucker with no real knowledge and dial-up internet service.

If anyone would be willing to provide some good info on any of these paperweights, I would be eternally in your debt (well, not really, but I would appreciate it)!

#76    http://i3.tinypic.com/wb6q9d.jpg
#09    http://i3.tinypic.com/wb6qhi.jpg
#66    http://i3.tinypic.com/wb6qno.jpg
#110    http://i3.tinypic.com/wb6qu9.jpg

The last one, by the way, was really hard to photograph.  All of the background glass is jet black, and most of my pictures looked like canes just floating in space.

Thanks, folks!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline dfernbach

• Members
Strathearn - 4 of them
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2006, 10:32:52 AM »
OH - I forgot to mention the sizes!
Numbers 76 and 110 are about 2 1/2 inches, # 9 is about 2 3/4.

Number 66 - the star shaped cutey, is just 2 1/4 inches and would be clearly paperweightly challenged should it ever be asked to hold down a stack of paper.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline RAY

• Members
Strathearn - 4 of them
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006, 03:03:38 PM »
they look like vasart to me except the star one or they could be the in between period
cheers Ray

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Strathearn - 4 of them
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2006, 05:07:18 PM »
I agree with Ray's assessment.

Don, your reference to my site regarding the details for Strathearns is, I think, a wrong reference. It's Richard More's site that gives the detailed info on P numbers, dates etc. I have a link to Richard's site from my front page, but the info I personally show for Vasart and Strathearn weights is quite basic and only based on a small set of examples.

I also have only a dial-up connection and when browsing Richard's site (and Frank's Ysartglass pages, and Larry Selman's catalogs [with all those the time-consuming image downloads], and the pages of lots of other dealers, too), I just have to be patient and enjoy the tour - even though I think I know what I'm looking for, it can be quite time consuming to discover some facts. But that's part of the fun of it all. :D
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline dfernbach

• Members
Strathearn - 4 of them
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2006, 12:52:15 PM »
Thank you gentlemen for clarifying the pedigrees of the paperweights.

I have adjusted the description of the weight on e-bay (Item number: 7409563504) giving credit of course to the Glass Message Board.  I also revised the title, but took the liberty of leaving the Strathearn name (this time WITH the "a" included) in the title as there are already 10 people "watching" the item, and I didn't want to overly confuse them.   :oops:

I have also updated my inventory listing so that the other weights will be listed correctly.  There is nothing worse in the e-bay world than listing and describing an item incorrectly when the correct information is available.
 :x

Taking a cue from another thread (you know I love to digress)
Owls
My wife has been collecting owls for years.  Whenever we travel we come back with one - wood, glass, ceramic, papier mache...  It doesn't matter.
A few months back, we were in our backyard, which adjoins a 25 acre parkland, and I was enjoying a verbal exchange between a common hoot owl and a particularly talented mockingbird.  I made a comment to my wife, and she was astounded.  After 20 years living in this house and hearing those "HOOTS", she had never realized that they were owls!

It is indeed one of the wonderful experiences of life to be able to sit and listen to the exchange between those fabulous birds! :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand