No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Iridescent Glass VAses, unknown maker, Bohemian?  (Read 935 times)

Offline msiscoe

• Members
Iridescent Glass VAses, unknown maker, Bohemian?
« on: December 29, 2012, 08:15:13 PM »
Hello,

I found these two vases, with a strong Bohemian appearance. Anyone have an idea who made them?

Many thanks,

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline msiscoe

• Members
Re: Iridescent Glass VAses, unknown maker, Bohemian?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 12:01:52 AM »
Since these are cut from the top, I thought maybe Kralik...

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 12:19:50 AM »
Kralik is certainly a possibility, but I have never really been able to nail it down. Here is my example of one in a different color. Mine is 7.5 inches tall.

Being cut from the top does not really point anywhere specific.
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline msiscoe

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 12:23:40 AM »
I think I read at the Loetz website, or maybe the Kralik site, that they had determined most vases cut from the top were Kralilk....

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 12:36:14 AM »
Not at all. Certainly not on the Kralik site  :-)     and not on Loetz.com either.....

Top cut simply means it was blown in a mold and removed without any real additional work being done to it after being cut from the blowing pipe.  Before the use of "gadgets", some kinds of additional work would be done by attaching the piece to a Punty rod and worked additionally in heat to apply decors, colored rims, rigaree, etc..... In these cases, the rim is generally fire polished instead of being ground and polished. Also in these cases there is the evidence of the rod attachment in the form of a pontil mark which shows some varying degree of grinding and finishing.... 

Some companies, Welz being one, appear to have used gadgets quite a bit allowing for a mold blown piece to have an applied rim of a different color, and not show the artifacts of a pontil because no rod was used..... After being removed from a mold and cut from the pipe, the pieces were held with "gadgets" for additional work. It does not appear that Kralik and Loetz used gadgets a whole lot, at least judging from their production.... I can not really speak to other companies too much....

Another misnomer is that all Loetz pieces have nicely polished pontils.... not true..... and if it is cut from the top it is not loetz... Absolutely not true either..... There are pieces of Loetz Papillon as an example, with a ground and polished rim and bearing a proper signature on the base with no polished pontil mark present...... 
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand