No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Faceted Vase ID  (Read 652 times)

Offline adam20

• Members
    • Retro glass and ceramics
    • Scotland
Faceted Vase ID
« on: February 02, 2013, 01:14:39 PM »
Here is a vase of heavy thick walled glass with sommerso and inner blue feathered layer. Facets cut to sides and polished rim. A lovely quality to this. No marks so posting if anyone knows anything.

Thanks Adam

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline adam20

• Members
    • Scotland
Re: Faceted Vase ID
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 10:47:28 PM »
I have searched a bit and think this may be Czech, I don't think it's Murano.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 12:04:37 PM »
Hi Adam- Interesting item. - It reminded me a little of some fairly recent Czech pieces. I have attached a picture of a piece of modern Beranek, that I purchased in the Czech Republic around 6 years ago, I gather that the design was originally produced by the esteemed Stanislav Libensky. Perhaps modern Beranek/czech may be worth investigating further as your piece does have similarities. My only other thought, was perhaps contemporary Chinese due to the size/ colour etc. Out of interest does the base have any wear marks at all...?

Offline adam20

• Members
    • Scotland
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 03:00:26 PM »
There is little wear to base, no marks. It's 4" diam, 3" high - photo of base

It has great technique and quality. I was pretty sure it wasn't Chinese when I bought it. Though it was speculative.

Adam

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 04:19:56 PM »
Thanks for the base picture and measurements. Difficult one to pinpoint really, although I would tentatively lean towards modern/contemporary czech. The Beranek piece I uploaded weighs something like 10kg, which was carried as hand luggage returning from Prague.  :) - China was a bit of an after thought really, the quality and style of some of their recent production is really quite surprising and staggering.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand