No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Super pair of guilded lead crystal bowls, Any ideas please...  (Read 680 times)

Offline glasskillian

• Members
    • england
Super pair of guilded lead crystal bowls, Any ideas please...
« on: February 23, 2013, 09:01:28 PM »
Hi i went on my own antiques road trip today minus film crew and i feel i did better than they usually do on the program i found whitefriars,cut lead crystal,pottery,etc all for the sum of £16 in this happy day glass hunting i found this lovely pair of heavy lead crystal bowls with a lovely band of guilding to the centre and the foot and rim. Even better both perfect condition!! They are 5" tall 8" wide. They have applied solid glass foot and a polished pontil scar with meaga amounts of wear to the foot rims. The glass i slightly ribbed vertically also. The cry out quality to me id just love to know more im thinking they are likey to be early 19th century as there form seems to fit with other table glass i have of the period im just unsure of use/date/origins any ideas greatly received all the best...1.2kg each

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline keith

• Members
Re: Super pair of guilded lead crystal bowls, Any ideas please...
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 12:56:05 AM »
Great find,no idea who I'm afraid,you could put the pottery on the 'Pottery and Collectable forum' sister forum to this if you need to, ;D ;D

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 09:00:09 AM »
Congratulations on a good day's collecting :)

I'd agree with Keith - great pieces - although not my scene and absolutely no idea of maker or use......other than to say.......possibly Bohemian pre 1920, and maybe just a pair of decorative bowls, albeit very good quality.
Just possible that the quality and style of the gilding might provide an indication of origin.

When you say early C19 - do you really mean c. 1800 - 1825, or did you mean 1900 - 1925 ish.? :)

Offline glasskillian

• Members
    • england
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 09:38:16 AM »
Thanks for both replies ;D
They are nice and i did think its possible  that they are bohemian also.
My limited knowledge thought that they appear to be very worn to the bases similar to a lot of 1820s glass i have and the shape of the bowl and the ribbing is very similar to georgian sugar bowls as per photograph below of an amethyst sugar bowl with folded rim just an observation really nothing definative. I understand your not hear to hold them but they do appear to have great age to me im stumped

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 11:47:09 AM »
Stylistically they look more late 19th/early 20th. Wear is not a good indicator of age as it depends how often something is moved and on what. Can we have a better close-up shot of the gilding; perhaps with something plain and dark inside the bowl.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 12:02:48 PM »
I'm sure we have some people here who are knowledgable about Bohemian glass - let's hope they can help. :)          Love the amethyst bowl - I'm really Mr. Green!!

Offline glasskillian

• Members
    • england
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 03:29:20 PM »
Hope these look ok they appear to be fairly mudane not world class although to get this band exactly horizontal all around the bowl would be a feet of skill in itself well done i say but not exceptional.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2013, 04:39:10 PM »
although to get this band exactly horizontal all around the bowl would be a feet of skill in itself
Not if it was marked up first using a chinograph pencil

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand