No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Press Glass Sphinx  (Read 6579 times)

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
Re: Press Glass Sphinx
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2016, 01:31:02 PM »
Some pictures of a pair of Molineaux and Webb frosted glass sphinx's, both with date lozenge.

Roy

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
    • https://www.pinterest.com/annetiquebe/
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2016, 12:16:06 PM »

Here, then, is an example of a glass ‘Greek’ sphinx atop a decorative plinth. Her well-coiffed hair is held in place with a headpiece or tiara. She measures approximately 12cms at it's highest point, has a 16cms long x 9 ½ cms wide base, and weighs in at 728 grams. There are no identifying marks.

It has been suggested that this glass ‘Greek’ sphinx is from a French or Belgian manufacturer, possibly Val St Lambert. Is anyone able to give a firm attribution to the manufacturer of this sphinx, please?

It's Val St Lambert 'Chimère' - Paperweight part of a writing set - Catalogue 1913.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2016, 03:59:38 PM »
Thank you for the VSL attribution.

Fred.

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
    • https://www.pinterest.com/annetiquebe/
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2016, 10:30:05 AM »
Fred, can I use your photo for my Pinterest page please?

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2016, 11:53:57 AM »
It's not actually my picture - it's copyright Kevin Collins - but Kevin is happy for his pictures to be used so long as the copyright is credited to him.

Fred.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2022, 12:31:34 AM »
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,51612.msg328145.html#msg328145

Image link here:
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=51612.0;attach=162069;image

A sphinx with a frosted glass body that bears a strong resemblance to that of the St. Louis piece shown in the opening post of this thread, but with a different base - the sphinx is not raised on a plinth or pedestal but is surrounded by a clear flattened base border decorated with an interlaced loop design.

It measures approximately 9cms high and its base is roughly 13½ cms long x 8½  wide; weight and it weighs 622 grams.

The sphinx has no distinguishing marks.

(Permission for the re-use of these images on the GMB granted by Kevin Collins).

I came across this version of a Saint-Louis sphinx candle holder.  It's on page 8 of the link and seems to have a similar (same?) design around the foot:
https://www.pressglas-korrespondenz.de/aktuelles/pdf/pk-2004-1w-sg-sphinx-louis.pdf

Offline thewingedsphinx

• Members
    • Victorian pressed glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2024, 06:48:38 PM »
Thought I’d do a group shot of Victorian pressed glass sphinxes as I recently managed to win a Derbyshire Sphinx for my father. I’ve been after one since joining the group.
The large black one at the front is from Molineaux and Webb 1874 ish with faint lozenge.
The black one on the left is a John Derbyshire winged Sphinx  from 1876 with lozenge it’s the same one that is shown in the korrespondenz article earlier in the thread. Previously owned by Raymond Slack and Cyril Manley, my folks used to meet up with R Slack at the glass fairs many years ago so that’s nice.
The frosted winged Sphinx at the rear is from Val St Lambert 1913.
The 3 on the right are possibly all from St Louis in France. The large one at the rear is signed St Louis Depose, the middle size blue slag one is unmarked and the smaller one is also unmarked. I’ve seen the smaller ones on a black plinth. The V and A museum has a slag glass Sphinx incorrectly attributed as Sowerby. I did notify them but they didn’t change their attribution. Cheers Mike.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand