Glass Identification - Post here for all ID requests > Glass Paperweights

Lily of the Valley-unidentified so far

(1/18) > >>

w8happiness:
The last weight in 2012 - I bought it right before Christmas- is a "Lily of the Valley" weight and it resists to attribution, I bothered a couple of colleagues already and found out, that there are some similar examples in their collections out there:
ca. 5 in Germany, one in Austria, and one in France, finally two in the USA.
To prevent any influence to your suggestions, I leave all the known discussion results out and
add pictures and metric data for your consideration...
I have put this topic here, because it is not really an unresolved case - just a search for more examples and ideas! 

Measures: 2,6 in diameter, 1,8 in high, SG 2,61, UV long wave shows a clear pink.
The SG of 2,61 refers to the actual measure result,  and will be more towards 2,7 owed to the numerous bubbles...

To give an idea of shape and size, the weight in question is shown paired up with a
nice little Perthshire PP2, before 1978, - this decision is random choice !! Questions: Are there weights like this in your collection?
Where did you find them?
Any idea how old and where they are from?

I would like to ask the Glass Message Community
for further reports and comments and any ideas for attribution.
New results will be eventually published in the Paperweight Collectors Circle News and -depending on what will occur, in the PCA Bulletin...
Thanks and kind regards from Austria, Erhard

SimonD:
I have recently seen another example (since the New Year, and almost identical to this one) in an antique centre in the north of England. Same twists and the characteristic lampwork floating on the colour ground.

w8happiness:
Hello and thanks a lot Simon,

I must add I bought the weight in an online shop in Newark/Nottinghamshire,
the place with the biggest (?) antique fair in Europe...

I do not know if they remove a pic of a sold article, kind regards Erhard...

....made a quick check - the picture is not online any more...

pooleandpaperweights:
Massive amount of bubbles. Is it a sign of how good the chinese are getting?

w8happiness:
...the Chinese option also was also pondered; but- the massive bubbles are only situated in the thin blue flash layer, and as decoration on the blossoms;  the glass for the surrounding dome and base is perfectly clear; and then: the pontil mark (see picture) reminds much more of Vasart (in this case without grinding as they have normally) or Strathearn...UV reaction does not fit to any Chinese - and I like some of these- they made attractive white grounds and fascinating single flowers; moreover,
most Chinese have a frosted or plain polished base with irregularities- are there any with broken pontils of that kind?
...and if it really was Chinese, why doesn't this type appear more often? I'd try to get more of those!
The glass is of excellent brilliance and SG near 2,7 is too heavy for most Chinese weights' SG...
The pontil mark is slim and the base plain and concave - does this point at a glassmaker who is familiar with making wine glasses?   Let's see...I'm most excited to hear what our moderator will say about the pontil mark!

Erhard

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version