No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: olive and blue water set.  (Read 513 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
olive and blue water set.
« on: March 01, 2013, 09:14:36 PM »
I thought I remembered that this colour combination was something important - but have a feeling what I'd had in mind was the Sowerby 'Venetian' series - but that only has blue trailing anyway.
So I've no idea about this pair  -  assume water jug and tumbler - high quality ground/polished pontil depression on both, and the sort of wear that might mean reasonable age.           The jug is 6" tall (155mm).
All thoughts received gratefully, and thanks for looking :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: olive and blue water set.
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 06:58:43 PM »
I did in fact send a request, with pix, to the V. & A..........and they have very kindly replied as follows:

"A very similar design was produced by the French firm Schneider about 1918-20.
I think this date looks right for the style, but it could also be 1920s.
Their products were sold by Heals.
The jug for the Schneider beer services came in three sizes: 1/2; 1; 1 1/2 and 2 litres."

Just wondering if there are any people here who might have access to Schneider catalogues or who might know if this was a set retailed by Heals.                     I only know of the cameo work from this factory, but nothing of what appears as deco looking like this.
Anyway, thought I'd have one more try, since I'm convinced it's a quality item.              Thanks :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 07:35:01 PM »
the catalogues only have line drawings and i have not been able to find this square handled broc in there.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 08:57:18 PM »
many thanks for looking Ivo. :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum