No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Stuart Crystal Pattern Identification Help  (Read 34220 times)

Offline vshsax

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Stuart Crystal
    • England
Stuart Crystal Pattern Identification Help
« on: March 07, 2013, 06:54:47 PM »
Hi, i collect Stuart Crystal mainly Beaconsfield but have these two decaters i cant identify the pattern, would any one be able to help me?

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
Re: Stuart Crystal Pattern Identification Help
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 08:17:54 AM »
Hi and welcome to GMB.

There are so many cut-glass patterns and I'm not sure where they are all recorded. However, there is one site that may help:
http://www.discontinueddesigns.co.uk/category.aspx?categoryid=5

Other than that, you could try contacting Broadfield House.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 09:19:07 AM »
Hello - a welcome from me as well :)
Regret I can't offhand help with this pattern, although we do have our own GMB Glass Gallery which, from memory, does include some Stuart patterns - and there are also a couple of links that other members have posted, showing various Stuart designs.
It might possibly help if you are able to either photograph the particular style of backstamp, or at least tell us what it looks like.         
As you will know, Stuart material spans much of the C20, and at varying times they changed their backstamp - and if nothing else at least it will limit your pieces to a particular period.
Rather busy today, but if I get a chance later will try to find the Gallery and other links (unless you have success in the meantime).

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 10:06:22 AM »
helo and welcome to GHMB.

Try
http://www.replacements.com/crystal/STU.htm
probably the most comprehensive online Stuart pattern site, but unfortunately still not covering many of the pre-war Stuart patterns.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 07:46:25 PM »
I understand from Vaughan that the backstamp on his decanters appears with "a small ribbin type etching at the end of England".      Looking at backstamps for pre 1950 glass produced by Stuart - that is how a slightly less than perfect trademark would appear.           In fact the 'ribbon' is not part of the word ENGLAND, but is simply the tail of the letter 't', which loops down like a ribbon and does look as though it forms the end of the word ENGLAND.
The fact that Vaughan's backstamp includes the very stylized 't' - plus the word ENGLAND, dates his decanters to somewhere between about 1926 and about 1950 - alghough not possible to be precise.
This may well make it more difficult to locate the exact design, unfortunately, but fingers crossed it might be found in the links provided by David and Fred.

Here are a few more designs....some from Robert  https://picasaweb.google.com/RobertLBJ/StuartsCrystalGlassGlassCutterMrCorfieldSPatternDrawingsEtcC19171921?authkey=Gv1sRgCK3c9dnFp-bSIA

and some from Ross
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/index.php?cat=6   ....         although I've a feeling that to view the Gallery images you might have to log in - can someone cofirm that for me, please - thanks :)

Ref.  'British Glass between the wars'  -  Exhibition catalogue by Broadfield House Glass Museum  -  1987  -  edited by Roger Dodsworth.

Offline vshsax

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Stuart Crystal
    • England
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 02:30:43 PM »
Hi everyone,

Thanks fo all your help over the Decanters, i seem to have found the answer from the Glass Museum, please see response below.

Thank you for the images of your decanter and yes I agree that the acid badge on your decanter was used from1926 till 1950 I know it seems like it is not very precise dating method but bear in mind the war years 1939 to1945 when there was no fancy goods produced ie decanters,cocktail shakers etc as it was all wartime production ie utility ware ,radar tubes etc you can narrow down the date of your decanters.I have gone through the catalogues from the late 20,s till mid 30,s and I am sure your decanter is pattern number 4022 which I think was produced right up till 1939 but not later, so I think it would have been made during the late 20,s to the late 30,s. the catalogues I looked at dated from those dates and pattern 4022 was produced all during that period.If you send me your address I send you a photocopy of the catalogue pages.

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 03:04:00 PM »
Well worth paying a visit to Broadfield House. Give them notice and they should be able to give you access to the catalogues, even.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 07:42:13 PM »
Hello Vaughan - pleased that you appear to have a positive result.        Would be useful if, assuming this pattern turns out to be the correct match, that you might add a picture of pattern 4022 to the GMB Glass Gallery 05 Crystal Patterns - from what I can see of your decanters I don't think The Crystal section includes this pattern, but I could be wrong.       Your decanters appear to have a lattice work of mitres with cross cut diamonds, but as I say, not easy to see from the above image.               You might also let us know, when you have seen a copy of the catalogue page, if 4022 has a name.
I was also sure that we had an image of 'Beaconsfield' in the Crystal Patterns, but looking now I don't see one - so would be great if you were able to add that too. :)

Broadfield House are obviously very helpful people. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand