No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Beautiful Victorian Carafe... I think?  (Read 1055 times)

Offline pegwellbayantiquities

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • glass & ceramics
    • united kingdom
Re: Beautiful Victorian Carafe... I think?
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2013, 04:15:26 PM »
What a shame lol! I got all excited, the harsh direction changes makes me wonder how this scratch arrived in such a strange place and what caused it  ::) oh well, so basically i'm most likely looking at a late victorian, early edwardian carafe most likely by webb? Not bad for a £1.50 investment!  8)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2013, 04:54:12 PM »
It's not a carafe; it's a decanter without a stopper, unfortunately

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

• Members
    • glass & ceramics
    • united kingdom
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2013, 05:03:46 PM »
Ergh my bad i meant decanter ... long day ... the hunt for a suitable stopper begins

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2013, 07:13:39 PM »
hate to be a pessimist about your chances of finding a stopper, but...........         Stoppers for cut and moulded bodies will often reflect the same decoration as the decanter, which you might think should make life a bit easier when hunting for the missing part.   Unfortunately, the chance of finding the correct stopper is just about zero - although that shouldn't stop you from looking  -  there are collectors of stoppers, and good early ones especially coloured examples are great pieces for show.         There are occasions when it's woth picking up a 'stopperless' decanter - if for example the pattern is rare and and valuable or whatever, but if the body is of no known provenance then it's best to leave alone - there are plenty of bodies that still have the top bit.
However, if you are looking, please do remember that I need stoppers for Webb's 'Ribbonette' and Stuart 'Villiers' bodies ;) ;)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

• Members
    • glass & ceramics
    • united kingdom
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2013, 09:56:34 PM »
Haha yes i know, stoppers that fit are notoriously difficult to find however i do have a few contacts that collect stoppers so i may have a little luck finding at least a half decent fit with a nice bulbous top! I'll keep an eye out for the ones you need to :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand