No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Whitefriars totem vase colour pewter or willow please?  (Read 688 times)

Offline chriss

• Members
Whitefriars totem vase colour pewter or willow please?
« on: March 10, 2013, 05:55:01 PM »
Hi, I have a Whitefriars Totem vase which is 10 and quarter inches high and originally sold to me as Pewter. I was just wondering if it is Willow or Pewter please as I have googled the colour and there are images of each which both resemble the colorway of my vase and I've looked on the colour guide on the whitefriars.com website and really can't make up my mind :/ When held to the light, it has a very faint greenish tinge to it which is what made me feel it may be Willow? Thanks for your help :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
Re: Whitefriars totem vase colour pewter or willow please?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 08:44:36 PM »
These two colours are SO difficult to capture by camera accurately.  Your first one looks Willow, the second looks Pewter to me.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chriss

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 09:09:02 PM »
Hi vidrioguapo, thanks for your reply :) I know exactly what you mean lol! :) I've tried to have neutral back ground in the shots so that it doesn't alter it, but the glass does look like a bit of both to me  ??? There's a faint soft green tinge to the grey coloured glass which can be seen especially when you hold it to the light but it looks like pewter when you don't, 2 vases in one! :))  Maybe there are different tones of the colorways? In my hunt for the colour of this, I found 2 for sale side by side and describing them as willow, but they are definately different tones 

http://www.patrick-howard-antiques.com/Antiques/RECENTLY%20SOLD/213.%20Sold.%20Pair%20Whitefriars%20Willow%20Green%20Totem%20Vases%201960s.aspx

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 11:06:33 AM »
In that link the one on the right looks Pewter, the one on the left Willow.  My rule of thumb, is that if I can see any Green in it then it is Willow.  Pewter has no Green tinge at all.  So going by my own rule I'd say your IS Willow despite some of the photos not showing a green tinge if just one of them does then it is Willow for me.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand