No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Request for help in identifying.  (Read 458 times)

Offline togei

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Ancient glass
    • Japan
Request for help in identifying.
« on: March 15, 2013, 11:07:38 PM »
Hello,
This is my first post here. If this belongs somewhere else please let me know.
I bought this set of glass rods yesterday at an auction in Japan. My 'specialty' is Japanese antiques and I am pretty sure these aren't Japanese.
The rods range in length from 17.7cm. - 19.7cm. long. There are 4 of them. 3 are purple in the rod area, 1 is green. They all have tapered ends.  http://www.flickr.com/photos/10069054@N02/sets/72157633001230217 is a link to a flickr set of photos.
I know some about Japanese glass but almost nothing about other kinds of glass. I would like help in identifying these. Any pointers would be helpful.
Dave

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline NMott

• Members
Re: Request for help in identifying.
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 11:40:05 PM »
I haven't seen them in glass, but to me they look like Lace bobbins or hair pins.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 02:47:29 AM »
Hello and welcome to the board :)
I'm afraid I can't help on your pins but they are beautiful colours and a real curiosity.
The colours look quite bright, I wonder if the actual colours may help pin down a timeframe they were made perhaps.
I agree they look like some form of bobbin or hairpin but I do wonder about the width of them as I wouldn't be keen to use those to keep my hair up if they are fairly thick.  I wonder whether glass would have been used for hairpins really though.
Hopefully someone will be along soon who might recognise exactly what they were for :)
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline togei

• Members
    • Ancient glass
    • Japan
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 04:42:55 AM »
Thank you for your replies. This is the first time I have heard of lace bobbins and will do some looking around.
Width. In the Flickr pictures, the first picture, the triangular, green one, the top is about 1.5 cm. wide. Over all they match the thickness used for hair pins here in Japan so I think that is a possibility.
Color. They are actually not that bright compared with other glass I have seen that is very old.
They are a real curiosity. I bought them at an antiques auction that is for dealers. The case they came in was marked 'Silk Road" and 2 characters that I couldn't read. I don't put a lot of stock in the attribution but it may be right. It isn't unusual for ancient items to be sold at that auction. 

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand