No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Genuine?Rare?Unusual? peter layton vase??  (Read 1882 times)

Offline glasskillian

• Members
    • england
Genuine?Rare?Unusual? peter layton vase??
« on: March 15, 2013, 12:49:05 PM »
Strange item here ive never seen anything by layton simiar to this very heavy 1.2kg and the decoration doesnt shout layton either maybe its an early career piece what do you think? 5" tall 5.5" wide. Unusual double rim trapped colour decoration inside the glass slightly cased on edge near base looks a bit experimental to me!!
signed?

Offline glasskillian

• Members
    • england
Re: Genuine?Rare?Unusual? peter layton vase??
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 12:50:24 PM »
sorry signed here

Offline glasskillian

• Members
    • england
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 02:35:59 PM »
Have emailed london glass blowers  will let you know the outcome, In reading some threads i understand that in the eary days he and sam herman were known for globby forms not sure whether this maybe described as such?

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 05:05:02 PM »
It can be hard to work out what is happening with Peter Layton's stuff.
He designs, others make the glass, then he signs it.
So I'm not personally sure I consider even "genuine" Peter Layton to really be genuine Peter Layton.

I don't know how anybody can tell with anything whether he actually made it or not.
It doesn't help that I don't know when he stopped making the glass himself. 
There are occassional bits turn up with both his and what is probably the actual maker's signature on, the most recent I'm aware of was signed by Norman Stuart-Clarke as well.
(but with such a piece, who knows how much Norman Stuart-Clarke put into the design? It's not as if he doesn't have serious talent of his own.)

I find this sort of situation to be highly unsatisfactory.
I'm not the only one it would seem, and not just in relation to glass, but in all art.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-16389446
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline glasskillian

• Members
    • england
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 10:52:40 AM »
I had read a  post where you mentioned this irregularity i think on the post with the norman clarke piece, It does seem unusual that this was not clarified then by the people from london glass blowers who contributed to the post maybe?? It often seems  to me anyway that when people become famous they dont seem to put in the hard graft that was once done on a daily basis but maybe that is inevitable im not sure! Personally if i had the skill to make this type of glass i would want to sign it myself..If he has stopped making glass then surely it would mean that its a peter layton "studio's" Piece rather than by the man himself and clarification would lead to early work being highly prized like early mdina maybe it is now im not up on prices of his work?
I agree we need too know...
dan

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 11:55:37 AM »
Yes Dan, I found the lack of response to my comments before to be another highly unsatisfactory situation.

;D I seem to have more of a penchant for work by artists who are enthusiastic about working with glass and love doing it.

I can't imagine being lucky enough to have the skill, the years of training to refine it, the physical and financial facilites for doing it and artistic ability to put into it - and then to actually stop doing it!

It would be akin to Rubenstein doing a load of recordings and then giving up playing the piano.  ???
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline glasskillian

• Members
    • england
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2013, 04:28:08 PM »
WOW its by peter layton he remembers doing the prunts on the outside but doesnt remember the rim unmistakeable was the reply from sylvie at the london glass blowers studio :D

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2013, 05:00:07 PM »
 ;D
So, when was it made?
Any info. about when he stopped making stuff himself?
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline glasskillian

• Members
    • england
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2013, 09:36:49 PM »
 ;D
Sadly not much info on age, or other just confirmation of peter doing prunt type decoration in the past...
Not the best of pictures its difficult such dark coloured glass to take decent pictures, It has lots going on inside lots of tiny bubbles and trails of colour quite unusual compared to the others i had..

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand