No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Alabaster & jade uranium jug - ID probably = Josephinenhutte  (Read 2857 times)

bfg

Alabaster & jade uranium jug - ID probably = Josephinenhutte
« on: March 30, 2013, 12:55:27 PM »
Was absolutely convinced this was S&W 1920's / 30's based mainly on the shape of the glasses that came with it as I haven't found an image of the jug yet, I noted one glass in the glass gallery here too for reference

BUT when testing it , the jade glass is uranium. Reading through the threads on SW alabaster / jade on gmb I note that SW didn't do their green jade in uranium so I'm stuck

The jug does have a ground pontil mark, is 8 inches high x 4.5 inches wide (plus handle)

-anyone able to point me in the right direction re maker please?

Mel

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
I've just been looking in Lustrousstone's gallery - S&W did do uranium Jade glass - but it's a strange, slightly see-through sort of stuff, and a quite different green to this.
There's a bit in her gallery similar in colour to your bits, with white, with a "St Louis? French?" tentative attribution.
http://lustrousstone.co.uk/cpg/displayimage.php?album=search&cat=0&pid=1637#top_display_media
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

bfg

thanks Sue, nothing's ever straight forward is it!

not convinced about the st Louis bits they seem matte and flat compared to the jug which has quite a sheen to it. Its also quite milky and full of tiny bubbles on close inspection along with occasional white bits......

............ps, can I pick your brains on an IOW paperweight whilst I'm at it please?  :-*

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
Have you tried looking at Steuben Alabaster & Jade? Might be a dead end, but I know Carder used this same combination when he left S&W & came to Steuben.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Try Nason while you're at it - don't limit yourself to big names.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
The dressing table set (fourth item down) reacts strongly to UV, a friend had three of those trinket pots: http://www.manddmoir.co.uk/phdi/p1.nsf/supppages/moir?opendocument&part=12

John

bfg

thanks Ohio, Ivo & John for your suggestions, still not having much luck - you'd think there would be a set of these attributed somewhere!

Out of interest, I put the Geiger meter on the jug last night, wow! best reading ever, was twice that of the jobling jade candlestick, which had the previous highest score - went well into the red 'dangerous' levels of background radiation lol felt the need to move them out of the living room and into the garage just to appease the rest of the household who do not share my love of uranium glass.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
It looks like the jug and the glass have been identified as Josephinenhutte if they are the same as those in the set in this link:
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,61100.msg344522.html#msg344522

m

Offline keith

• Members
Beat me to it  ::) ;D ;D

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
 ;D
I should add to bfg's comment that Geiger counters are only about 10% efficient.
There's likely to be 90% more activity than you measured.

But a bit of paper is sufficient stop the radiation from uranium. You don't need lead clothes.
It is a good excuse for a tin-foil hat though.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand