No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Opalescent /milk glass bottle  (Read 712 times)

Offline Mac

• Members
    • Canada
    • Bohemian Glass Collector
Opalescent /milk glass bottle
« on: April 05, 2013, 10:44:29 PM »
I bought this opalescent /milk glass bottle because I was attracted to the colour and shape.

Here are the facts:
6” tall
significant wear on the bottom
no pontil
ground lip
stopper fits snugly - although I am concerned the stopper is not original
when held to the light the glass translucent and has the red/orange "fire” when held at certain angles

The seller told me that this was an ink bottle; I am assuming he meant a master ink bottle. The problem is there is no pour spout so I think an ink bottle is ruled out. He also claimed the stopper was original and although it fits snugly, proportionality it seems wrong.

Any bottle collectors here?
Could be European made?
Could it be a vanity/medicine/barbershop bottle?
Any thoughts on this piece would be appreciated.

Thanks
Mac
http://bohemianglasscollector.blogspot.ca/
http://vanbrigglepottery.blogspot.ca/

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Opalescent /milk glass bottle
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 11:00:08 PM »
the stopper does not look right to me.
Is it uranium glass?  Does it look like old glass?  I'm only asking because I had what I think was a Nason pale yellow stoppered opaline bottle that looked very like that iirc. I think it had those sort of moulded ridges on it as well.
It's hard to tell from your pics though whether it looks like old glass or not (your pics are lovely but the lighting makes it look old and I was just wondering if it really was).
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Mac

• Members
    • Canada
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 11:11:37 PM »
Thanks M.

Your right the stopper is most likely wrong.  As for age, I believe it to be old - there is wear on the bottom and it has the red/orange "fire” consistent with type of glass - which I believe they no longer make. Here is a pic of the bottom. Thanks for looking.
Mac

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 11:34:52 PM »
this was a pale yellow opaline jar I had.
I can't remember about the fire 'y' part of it but I do remember it was lovely fine opaline and I believed it to be 'modern' and Nason.  It seems to be a similar shape to yours with the ridges.  It had a cut and polished rim and lid the same with a cut and polished rim.
I can see yours has a slight reddish tinge even in the pics but I do think that is still something that is made today.  I've had other Stelvia opaline glass for example that has that tinge and is bright orange firey when held up to light and that is a 70s vase.
Yours looks a slightly different colour to mine, creamy rather than very pale yellow. And your opaline looks less even and definitely appears to look older than mine in your pics, but I'm unsure.
  Is yours uranium do you know?  mine was.
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Mac

• Members
    • Canada
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2013, 12:19:20 AM »
Thanks again M. Your piece certainly looks similar to mine.
Is Nason the maker of bottles.
When they were produced?

Re: the reddish tinge: Here is a quote from an article I read on Milk Glass: – “An interesting feature of most milk glass is that thin glass and has an orange-ish opalescence when held up to bright light”. I believe that is the reddish tinge you are seeing is from the lighting. Sitting here on my desk it has soft light bluish opalescence and I can see through it.

I just checked it out under a UV light and it glows orange.

Thanks again.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand