No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Victorian purple rim bowl & jug  (Read 482 times)

Offline Simba

• Members
  • QVOD SIS ESSE VELLIS - Be happy as you are !
    • Art Deco Glass
    • Wales
Victorian purple rim bowl & jug
« on: May 13, 2013, 05:10:58 PM »
Can anyone help me ID this lovely jug and bowl. They have a graduated purple rim and the body of both has a panelled effect they stand on crimped base with a rough pontil  :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Victorian purple rim bowl & jug
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 06:52:49 PM »
hello Angela.............Assuming this to be a genuine period piece, than your colour might just be amethyst rather than purple..........I've looked through Gulliver and there are shed loads of variations on ruby and cranberry with some orange and amber, but purple I can't see.
S. & W. did produce a very similar colour shading like your piece, but called it amethyst which faded to clear lower down.        A date of something like c. 1900 might be somewhere around the time.          I'm not saying yours is an example of this S. & W. style, but just that it looks similar - am sure one of the other girls will have a better idea.
These feet are called pincered work I believe, and yours appear to have a plain ribbing pattern, although sometimes they have a daisy pattern.

But, first I suggest you make sure this is late Victorian  -  look for wear in all the usual places  -  your lucky if you have all feet intact - they are so ofter damaged.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Simba

• Members
    • Art Deco Glass
    • Wales
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 07:30:01 PM »
These are certainly   genuine Victorian pieces I was given them today by an elderly family friend she is 96 but says they were her mothers and they may have been a Wedding present they have just sat in the glass cabinet ever since. All the feet are intact and I would described the colour as amethyst. It fades out to clear glass by half way down the pieces. The picture below may show this better... apart from the odd air bubble they are perfect. Sorry to be so ignorant but who are S  & W ?

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 07:32:58 PM »
Undoubtedly Victorian but I doubt you'll find a maker - one of the smaller ones, as the quality isn't great. I have one probably from the same maker http://lustrousstone.co.uk/cpg/displayimage.php?pid=1727

(S&W = Stevens and Williams)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 08:17:12 PM »
I was being cautious Angela - the screen is not infallible when it comes to determining age, and it's not difficult to make a mistake. :)     So much Victorian decorative glass is unattributable, and Christine is quite correct in saying that it's unlikely you'll find a maker - but these are nice pieces and this amethyst appears to be a rare colour - certainly going by examples in the books - so it seems you have some desirable pieces there  -  congratulations.
I would still go with the date I suggested, roughly, with perhaps a little leeway. 

Offline Simba

• Members
    • Art Deco Glass
    • Wales
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 08:48:27 PM »
 ;D Thanks Paul

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand