No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Scalloped emerald green goblet I.d request  (Read 1356 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Scalloped emerald green goblet I.d request
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2013, 09:36:30 AM »
obviously Christine wasn't asked to proof read that one ;)          I suspect Otis, that you may now have adequate information from your link - at least on the subject of chemistry and colour - such that the book isn't perhaps now essential.           
The volume is rather typical of books that give an overview of the entire history of glass from mostly the entire European area, so there may be a valid criticism that it tries to cover to large a subject in the one book  -  however, it does give a lot of basic information, and I've yet to find a book I couldn't squeeze some useful information from, so if you can get a cheapish copy it will be worth while  -  don't bother with copies that are more expensive just because they have the dust wrapper - this is not an antiquarian book by any stretch of the imagination, and all you need is a reading copy in reasonable condition ;)                     Contributors include Ada Polak and Phelps Warren and there was much use made of quality glass from the big museums.
However, I've checked the ISBN No., and my copy seems to show 434 98200 8, so not quite sure why the difference - perhaps a reprint or some such.   

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
Re: Scalloped emerald green goblet I.d request
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2013, 09:27:12 PM »
Hi Paul,   Basic understanding is all I need.   So the book is well worth purchasing.  Will be ordering it within the next few days.  I will of course prior to ordering, check the ISBN No.   In respect of comment, as appose to a direct contribution on the subject matter, which in my case, has not been the first.  I am not prepared to get myself involved with what could be seen as sensitive.  Knowledge is based upon information, whether correct, duplicated or incorrect.   It is up to the individual to extract or decipher what may be deemed as fare and coherent to the relevant topic being discussed in order to come to some final conclusion.  Is it wrong to recycle and if yes, legal?  I'm only asking.  I just don't want to be using threads, posts and references that are not in agreement with what this GMB site is all about. 

http://1st-glass.1st-things.com/articles/glasscolouring.html

I'm now wondering.................. with that surname, is there any connection with current issues on the Whitfriars site.  They appears to be a broken link on the ISIT . ;D 

Anyway, thanks for all your help.   

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand