No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: What's your Favourite 3 pieces ?  (Read 7415 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: What's your Favourite 3 pieces ?
« Reply #70 on: March 14, 2022, 10:07:36 PM »
I think the roundel might be a ?lithophane is it? I think that's what they were called.  Karl Pfohl did some in blue.

m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline cagney

• Members
    • U.S.A.
Re: What's your Favourite 3 pieces ?
« Reply #71 on: March 15, 2022, 10:02:21 PM »
  I never thought of that aspect. The delicate shading of background trees are lithopane like. I cannot recall seeing a glass lithopane. The "story" that came with the purchase was that it came from a window in a old New Jersey house.The fact that the Corning Museum is not quite sure of it's function sort of leaves it open. Have you accessed it on their website? If you put " engraved roundel" in the search function it will bring it up directly along with a similar piece that features a U.S. civil war general.

The victorian soot in the crevices actually seem to enhance the engraving except on Columbia"s chin.  [ is that a beard?]

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand