No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: stunning bright yellow uranium glass pressed lily 'thing' - ID = Molineaux Webb  (Read 2153 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
I have this item and have absolutely no idea as to what it might be.  I can't think it's part of a set as there is no evidence of something having sat on top of it and I can't see it would sit in anything.  My only thoughts were it must have been a 'holder' for something to sit in, but it's big at 2 7/8" high by 5" widest and the diameter of the centre opening or vasey bit is 2 3/8".
It has a pressed star 20points in the base and a thick base ring.  There are 14 'petals' on the plate bit of it and obviously 14 ridges up the vasey bit to the zig zag points at the top rim.
It's the most gorgeous thick glass and bright yellow with that lime green touch to it in certain lights.
hmm, my photos are making it look green but it really isn't, when I put it with my green glass it looks yellow and when I put it with my yellow glass it looks yellow, so I'm sure it's yellow lol.
Any thoughts as to what it might be please much appreciated.
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
is it a 708 Molineaux Webb Butter!! without the lid?  I came across it accidentally checking another piece - could it be?
https://sites.google.com/site/molwebbhistory/Home/registered-designs/molineaux-webb-unregistered-pressed-glass/butters
m

bfg

hi m, are you looking at 708? edited: yes you did say that sorry

it is similar but looks to have more than 14 petals, is tapering, not straight up sides like yours and has a zig zag rim I think or is that just a trick of the drawing? have you found an image of a percival vickers one? mel

Offline mrvaselineglass

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.vaselineglass.org
It is the 708, but it is not a butter.  It is a honey pot.  The lid has a slot on it.  I have three different honey pots, and photos of several more.  All are British, all have an attached underplate, and all have a domed lid with a slot in it.  I also have some catalog illustrations that show the word 'honey' under the dish.  (I have a complete one of this #708)

Here is a picture of a catalog illustration from Percival Vickers, and the honey pot that matches it. (still looking for the one on the left side).

The other photo is a small copy of an article I did on English honey pots a couple of years ago.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Dave - fantastic!  thanks so much :) - I can't believe I just happened upon it looking for another MW piece - which isn't MW as it turns out.
Mel, mine has a flat rim but zig zags outwards where the ribs are and in real life it very obviously  is tapering up towards the top although
my photo doesn't show this well at all (my fault sorry).
m

Offline mrvaselineglass

• Author
  • Members
And......here is a picture of your dish with lid, plus a copy of the drawing (used by permission from the owner of the webpage showing that catalog illustration).  I did not notice until I got the catalog illustration that mine had been repaired and cut down on the lid.  The glass repair person did an excellent job of grinding the point off of the finial.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Lovely- now I know what it is I need to keep a look out for a lid, however there is no wear whatsoever to the rim of the piece I have to indicate it might have had a lid.
do you know when it dates to please?
I've id'd one of my 'cupboard' pieces that I am selling to 1880 but I read something that made me think it might be earlier because of the colour.  And I  have one more that I have been trying to work out what it might be, that is the same colour yellow u glass and I just wondered if they date to a certain period?
m

bfg

that's great m, if only every bit of  glass got sorted so quickly :-) nice one Dave

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
I know - I've sat here and looked and looked at this item, turned it upside down occasionally to see if it sat on something else, wondering what on earth it could be.
I'd like to have the lid though - now I know what they are I'll keep an eye out.
m

Offline mrvaselineglass

• Author
  • Members
The owner of the Molineaux Webb website said it is from a 1927 catalog.  however, I do not know how long it may have been included in similar catalogs before or after that date.

I have found that honey dishes come in different shapes.  The ones from England are like the ones we have been discussing, because the honey was removed from the honeycomb.  A lot of the honey dishes made in the United States in the 1880-1890s (in colored glass) were low and rectangular, to fit a cut piece of honeycomb.  They are frequently advertised as butter dishes.  There is no slot on these to hold a honey dipper. 

Here is a link to show an example of the rectangular dishes made in the U.S.
http://www.vaselineglass.org/centralhoneydishessm.jpg

Dave

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand