No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Jobling Pyrex Marks  (Read 5449 times)

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
Jobling Pyrex Marks
« on: April 16, 2013, 11:44:50 AM »
Please would someone who has the Jobling Pyrex book please have a look for me and report back on the dates of the first two Jobling Pyrex marks, together with what evidence for those dates is cited by the author(s).

The first is the simple "JP" mark, not often seen.   The two letters were run together so it looks like a "J" with an added bulge on the top right.   We have Janet's mother's EPNS mounted toddy glass with this mark acid etched on the bottom.

The second is the "JAJ" over a crown mark, usually with "MADE IN ENGLAND", seen moulded on most Pyrex sold secondhand here in Britain.   The basic deco style* "JAJ" element of this is shown in a PG advertisement of 1 September 1933, reprinted in Baker & Crowe — the earliest date I have found so far.

I would also be interested in whether the authors prefer an overlap, a gap, or an instantaneous changeover from one to the other.   This last is very popular with tidy-minded glass historians, but I have yet to find concrete evidence ever cited for it, so you always have to treat it with a little suspicion.

Bernard C.  8)

* The "JAJ" in the PG ad. has always looked to me more Charles Rennie Mackintosh (A&C or Modernist) than Deco.   The version that actually appeared with the crown on the glass was a little milder.
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
Re: Jobling Pyrex Marks
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 02:18:51 PM »
There's no clear indication if/when these marks are discussed, so without reading the entire book it's hard to tell you. There is just one trademark shown and that is the crown over the word 'Pyrex' and that is dated 1953. I've read the portions on the earlier years quite closely as Chance, Orlak and Harold Stabler are mentioned, but cannot recollect any markings being mentioned.

Good book though (Pyrex - 60 Years of Design, ISBN: 0905974093) and can be purchased relatively cheaply online.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline rupert c

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • scientific glassware
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2020, 03:12:22 PM »
Realise this question was raised 7 years ago, but wondered if anyone has any answers as to dating the 'JP' Jobling Pyrex trademark. I am running a volunteer project at the science museum cataloguing a large quantity of these pieces, so any info on this would be very gratefully received!

Thanks

Rupert

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2020, 09:32:50 PM »
quoting from the Andy McConnell edited Miller's '20th - Century Glass' p. 200 -  published 2006 …………………………….   this may be of some interest to the above request, and the wording as it appears in the caption reads   ...............….

""Three differing logos were applied to British made Pyrex.              The first, with the JP (Jobling Pyrex) monogram and PYREX MADE IN ENGLAND within a circle, was used 1921 - mid - 30s.                             This was followed by JAJ (James A. Jobling) above a crown and MADE IN ENGLAN.
The simplified PYREX logo, designed by Milner Gray of the Design Research Unit, was introduced in 1953.                  The disappearance of the JP/JAJ monogram reflected the end of the Jobling era after the family sold its interest to Pilkington in 1949.           The cartoon KING PYREX figure was created by TIM and used for promotional purposed during the 1950s.""

For copyright reasons, unable to reproduce the images.                    Credit for this information to Judith Miller and Andy McConnell  -  with thanks.

Offline rupert c

• Members
    • scientific glassware
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2020, 08:42:04 AM »
Dear Paul,

Thank you very much for your response - that's incredibly helpful. I will try to get my hands on a copy of the book.

Thanks again,

Rupert

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2020, 10:35:27 AM »
hi Rupert  -  I can of course send you a pm email - outside of the GMB - with pix showing the images in this volume - and would avoid you needing to buy said book.      If acceptable to you, send me a message via my email at left hand side, and we can then resolve.

Offline rupert c

• Members
    • scientific glassware
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2020, 10:59:00 AM »
Thanks! Will do

Rupert

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2020, 11:32:24 AM »
I've got a red snowflake pattern dish with only the crown logo on it. No jaj or jp.

I haven't paid much attention to the marks, I just pick up the nice old Pyrex I can use, and I like the red stuff with snowflakes or gooseberries.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Carolyn Preston

• Members
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2020, 10:44:28 PM »
If I was going to purchase pyrex, I would love to find the Golden Thistle (of course), but apparently it is very rare.

Carolyn

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2020, 12:11:11 PM »
I've never seen that, Carolyn. But if I do, I'll grab it for you, promise.
I have a fondness for the vegetables pattern when it's not the red stuff.
I'm never sure if my Pyrex comes under my glass collecting or my kitchen equipment collecting. ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand