No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mdina Round Vase  (Read 2091 times)

Offline petet63

• Members
    • Crystal Art Glass
    • UK
    • My eBay Sales
Mdina Round Vase
« on: April 19, 2013, 04:30:04 PM »
Hi, I have this piece and would like to get an idea of age and or Designer. It really stands out in the sun light. I would have walked past it if the sun was not shining (rare that it did)  ;D I have seen a number of vases in similar style but not in this design. It is 11 cm in height.
Pete. :-)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Mdina Round Vase
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 04:40:26 PM »
Definitely Mdina.
(perhaps we shouldn't be in Italy - this is Maltese!)

Nice one! It's post-Harris and from a range that went on until the mid-ish'80s, red-streaky-in-clear body with blue strapping - but this is a decidedly unusual shape - almost like an inside -out. I like this design very much and I love this one!  :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline petet63

• Members
    • Crystal Art Glass
    • UK
    • My eBay Sales
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 08:53:07 PM »
It's close enough   ;D ;D not thinking things through seems to be normal today  :-\  I had the Harris name because of the shape but thought I was being a bit hopeful. It is a nice piece and is 1075g so a solid piece as well. Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

Offline petet63

• Members
    • Crystal Art Glass
    • UK
    • My eBay Sales
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2013, 09:00:38 AM »
After a second day of seeing the sun  :o :o the vase looks to have red and orange bands in the inner and the strapping looks blue and green. It's hard to decide as it seems to change colour all the time. I need a pedestal to put it on in the sun !   

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2013, 09:28:14 AM »
Loads of folk do describe this as being orange and green. I can't see it myself - it is a dull orangey red, but it's still red, and it might be a turquoisey-blue - but it's still blue to me.

Mdina never had a green melt in a pot, early on. (They might have, a lot later, I don't know) It does say green glass was used in Mark's book, but that is an error, which most likely arose because Malta Decorative glass items in (true) green were confused with being Mdina at the time.
There is a lovely green shade that can appear - it is the result of silver chloride creating a clear amber swathe during the making, which lies over the teal-blue base, giving rise to green.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2013, 07:02:27 PM »
The trailing works well on the inside out shape, can't say I can remember seeing another.

They look like green on orange but the colour used is actually red, sometimes you can see this on the base where it can be more concentrated. The trailing is blue glass but it of course looks green on top of the 'orange'.

John

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2013, 07:22:34 PM »
The original intention for this piece might have been a bottle decanter - and something went wrong about the neck during the making, so they just finished it off like an inside-out. I've got a Fish vase that happened to. They still sold stuff that was wonky - every single thing that was made got shoved into the shop - they were struggling so much to keep up with demand!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline petet63

• Members
    • Crystal Art Glass
    • UK
    • My eBay Sales
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2013, 08:36:19 PM »
The colours are confusing but it makes the piece more interesting. The mix of banding colours and the blue on the trailing will change with the colours underneath. People will think I am nuts if I don't stop holding up to the window and looking at it  ;D. Thanks for the help.  It will get listed eventually sadly.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand