No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Kluk kluk flask engraved with bird and flowers - new or old? weird bird - naive  (Read 6225 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
This has wear marks on the base in four high spots and a polished pontil mark over a snapped off pontil scar that is still visible.
It's pretty but has a weird bird engraved on it in that both the wings are on the same side as the bird. She's well done in that she has feathers and a little eye and detail but the wings are odd to me.
The birds are on opposing sides on the shoulders with branches and leaves, then on the other side it's leaves.  There are flowers engraved all round the base.  Again the engraving looks quite naive to me.

Any thoughts of age or country at all much appreciated.
many thanks
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
these are better pictures of the engraving and I forgot to say it has a very indented or kick up base.  Difficult to show because of the engraving round the bottom of the flask so I had to take the pic at an angle.
The engraving is all matt.  Is it copper wheel engraving maybe?
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
Hi ,
          Looks early 19th c or could be the end of the 18th c , 1/2 post method suggest continental Europe , Scandinavia is a possibility along with Germany,yes it is wheel engraved but crudely.

cheers ,
             Peter.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
 :o  excellent - thank you :)   I'll do some more looking.  That's 100 yrs older than I even thought it might be.
m

Offline lostworldbooks

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Glass Paperweights
    • United States
Hi,

It looks very much like mine, without the pontil mark though...

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/6/6/3/4/9/webimg/663118520_o.jpg

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/6/6/3/4/9/webimg/663118541_o.jpg

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/6/6/3/4/9/webimg/663118646_o.jpg

Mine is by Alfred Taube. eBay #380621276615 if you want to see more pics.

Rick

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
Hi ,
           the basic shape is similar,but as you said,no pontil mark,and I see no half post construction method,these Items have been made in most European countries in many guises since  the 17th century and continue to be made today .

Just try this google image search,          https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=kluk+kluk+decanter&hl=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=CfZ3UbT8BNGV0QXLqYCIDQ&sqi=2&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1360&bih=653

cheers ,
 Peter.

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
 And here is 1 from the Nostetangen Glasshouse, Norway, in there 1763 pattern book .

http://arkivverket.no/URN:db_read/db/32611/24/

cheers ,
                   Peter.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
amazing!  thank you for sharing - it's incredible to see all the coloured plates in the book as well.
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Have I any chance of working out where and when on this one?

I've been reading up on Nostetangen in my books and the very scarce information I have on Scandinavian production from that period.
From the Nostetangen website it says
'German potash glass was used until about 1756, when the English lead glass appeared.'
and
'Glass production was ceased in 1777 and moved to Hurdals verk.'
I think I read in my books that Hurdals verk used lead glass?
So if my flask is not lead glass then  might it mean that perhaps it's not Norwegian?
Also, are there any clues in the engraved subject matter?  It doesn't strike me as Bohemian or German, not that I would really have a clue to be honest.

it's a  minefield out there  ;D especially when you have no clue about this type of glass at all.
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand