No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Heavy, bubbly ashtray with copper inclusions  (Read 960 times)

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
Re: Heavy, bubbly ashtray with copper inclusions
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2013, 06:02:05 PM »
Michael,

I can see why the Kamei suggestion was made, and I know that Anita has seen far more of these than I have, but I have some reservations. I've had a a couple of Kamei and they've both had three indentations in the lip.  The appearance of the ashtray is almost square, unlike your piece. And I agree with you that the Kamei pieces are thinner-walled than this piece.

Also, like Wayne,  I've never seen a Kamei piece with bubbles.  Of course, it may be that I wouldn't recognize a piece with bubbles as Kamei, so that's not a strong argument.

I wouldn't suggest Murano as an alternative.  The form of the bubbles (small bubbles behind a thinner layer of elongated bubbles) I tend to associate with Chinese glass.

An interesting research project again, Michael.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2013, 06:36:37 PM »
Thanks, David!
I guess I should stay away from research projects and stick to the stuff I know a little bit about ;D
I would prefer Japanese to Chinese I have to admit...
What confuses me: the piece doesn't look newish to me, and the base is not typical recent Chinese either.

Let' see if my research will bring up something one day.

Michael

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2013, 07:21:24 PM »
Michael, if the round mark in the middle can be felt slightly then is it possible that is the pontil mark but then that the 'base' of the bowl has been ground and polished into  a large (is it slightly concave or totally flat?) base with a foot rim? 
With the base ground and polished it would have removed any rough stuff on the ring shaped pontil mark but probably didn't get ground and polished deeply enough to remove the pontil mark entirely.
I don't know enough or see enough Chinese glass so I can't comment on the decor or the base finish, but the base looks very neatly done to me.  I'll be interested to see what transpires on this one :)  It's pretty.
m

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2013, 05:54:32 AM »
Michael:

Looking at it again today, especially from the top view, I'd change my vote to Murano.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2013, 04:25:45 PM »
Thanks m and David!
Yes, it is a concave (polished) base with just a narrow foot rim, so the thing in the centre should be the remains of the pontil mark.
Nice if Murano is still in the running! But if it turns out to be Japanese (or even Chinese) I have at least learned a bit more about glass :)

Michael

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand