No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ID Help Request - PWT Related Item (Sugar Bowl or Powder / Trinket Box)  (Read 1089 times)

Offline hunter-g

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Glass, Paperweights, Inks
    • USA
After browsing and enjoying GMB from a distance, I finally signed up and want to thank Anne for her help in working out some early tech issues.

This, being my 1st post, follows a previous attempt wherein I carefully worded and doublechecked my content, only to find that I took quite a bit longer than the 1 hour I had (somewhat optimistically) Logged-in for, and instantly timed myself out upon hitting the submit button!!!  Forever losing that introduction to you all as it slipped into the proverbial time tunnel, I am sharing that little adventure as a caveat to other new members who may wish to avoid a similar thrill by simply checking the "Stay Logged In" box at the outset when creating a new post, selecting & adding pictures and all the detail that might go into and ID request.

So, enough about my travails, and on to the fun stuff:

Some time ago, I acquired what was described as a Dresser Jar, and was interested since it reminded me of some Old English paperweights I've seen - but have not been able to match the canework with anything in the many books at hand or online. Though my sense is leaning toward OE, I have never seen the bright red / almost orange-scarlet and think of it as a much more modern color (yes, I'm Stateside indeed) than any older pieces I've seen. I also see similarities with the various Vasart / Monart-type dishes, ashtrays and color-ground pieces, but have never seen what amounts to a carpet ground among them. In either case, the quality of the glass appears to be quite good, and keeps me hoping the canes could be from one of the many unknown Birmingham / Stourbridge works... Any thoughts which might help point me in the right direction will be greatly appreciated. 

Dimensions are approx 4 7/8" (123.9mm) dia x 4 1/8" (105mm) (overall) ht.
Flat, polished base w. evidence of pontil scar and seam at joint of base and body, (as in many English pieces) is approx 3 1/8" (80mm) dia.
Bowl / body stands approx 2.2" (56mm) h.
Lid is 3 3/4" (95mm) dia and almost 3 3/16" (80mm) d at the indent (which is ever so slightly off center)
and the Knob is just over 1" (26mm) dia x just under 1" (24mm) h as it rests on the short stem.

Many thanks in advance for all opinions, good, bad or indifferent and to all GMB members for such an interesting and informative site!

(Please note these photographs are my own and may be copied and shared by GMB members for personal / research use.)

More photos available if needed and apologies as I am still learning a new camera and software.
tks / h-g

ps/ Anne: Could only include 2 pix here - couldn't reset attachments even w/ a new post after problems w/ sizing and then couldn't add to previous (remaining) images after deleting 2 from the queue. Hmmm. :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline dirk.

• Members
You´ll hardly ever find me responding or adding something substantial to PW posts,
but your introduction so much reminded me of some attempts of mine to write longer
emails, which ended with distractedly hitting the´logout´ instead of the ´send´ button,
I just had to say hello and welcome!  ;D
"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others." - Groucho Marx

...working on it...
https://picasaweb.google.com/108140812446658939096

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Roger H

• Members
Its a jar with a lid on it for standing on your dressing table and putting your spare millefiori canes in, as you can see in the photos. ;D
      Seriously though your estimate I would say is pretty close. Looks whitefriarish to me and is quite an interesting piece.
     Regards
           Rambling Roger

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline hunter-g

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Glass, Paperweights, Inks
    • USA
Thanks for the warm welcome, Dirk, as I'm pleased to know that I'm not alone! Hope to catch up going forward...

And to "RR": It certainly is a collection of cloned canes trapped in there - at least they all seem to have the same parent DNA!  I'll try to attach a couple more photos which may clarify the detail some. Really appreciate your follow-up. TKS!!! / h-g

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand