No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: My Latest Addition To My Collection  (Read 2691 times)

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: My Latest Addition To My Collection
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2021, 03:24:28 PM »
Hi Katie, welcome to the Board.

I will let the Monart / Vasart collectors add their own comments. But I can say a couple of things:
- The date 1956 would mark the jar as being made before the Strathearn company came into being - so your jar would be Vasart (but there were two periods of Vasart!)
- First period Vasart ended in 1956, when the company became Vasart Ltd rather than Ysartt Brothers Glass - trading as "Vasart. See here for some info on laebels and the dates they were used.

Do you recalll which month of 1956 your parents married? And could the label have been black and silver rather than black and gold?
KevinH

Offline KatieK67

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • UK
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2021, 03:36:45 PM »
Hi Kevin

Thanks so much for your super-quick response.  My parents were married at the end of May 1956, and I have to say the Vasart 1956-64 black & silver label looks very familiar, so is likely the label that was on the jar.

I am wracking my brain to try & remember what my Mum said about the jar - so annoying when we don't listen properly, then can't ask anymore!

I've just realised only one of my photos was attached, so have attached others for info.

Thanks!

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2021, 05:14:27 PM »
Hi Katie, welcome to the board. Just to reassure you that we never abandon topics, and they can always be reopened and added to or updated at any time. Sometimes it can take years to get an ID on an item, hence why we leave them all open and active. :)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2021, 05:41:51 PM »
Welcome!
I wouldn't worry too much about the crack. It will affect value, but it's an annealing crack which happened during the cooling period just after it was made. They were not able to control the temperatures in the ovens they used for cooling terribly well. They were in a draughty wooden shed, in a cold climate. Sadly, annealing cracks are quite common, but at least the pieces stay together.  ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2021, 06:00:56 PM »
Annealing cracks in Monart / Vasart wares.
Sue said:
- but at least the pieces stay together.

But best to keep the item away from spotlights in cabinets!

KevinH

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2021, 06:12:57 PM »
Well spotted and commented, Kev.  :)

Also, do not wrap in newspaper and shove on the floor of a very cold, damp attic for decades. That caused a lot more cracks to appear in a Monart vase my neighbours had.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline KatieK67

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • UK
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2021, 01:00:51 PM »
Thanks everyone for all the info & warnings!!

Good to know about the annealing crack - I did think it was odd that I couldn't feel the crack on the surface  ;)

Luckily, the jar has spent its life, to date, on a warm but not spot-lit shelf, so the crack hasn't grown! 

To be perfectly honest, we're looking to sell the jar so that it can be fully appreciated by someone new ... any suggestions as to where is best to sell will be helpful.  I see that there is quite a lot of Vasart glassware on ebay, but not sure if that's the best way to go?

BTW - what a great forum this is  ;D

Katie

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand