No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mystery Mdina iridescent vase  (Read 1200 times)

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
Re: Mystery Mdina iridescent vase
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2013, 08:20:31 PM »
I felt it was a good illustration of a name that we all know as Mdina but is very often, misread as Molina as in these other examples:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=Molina+glass&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.46340616,d.d2k&biw=1008&bih=476&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=kUeRUf22FcG9Oa3LgGg#imgrc=_

and is certainly the one I help identify correctly most often. There are some that have a distinct gap between the curve and the straight of the d where few people will believe the true provenance.

I do agree with you Nemmie, but Chris, I like your vase,  it does have class and I believe you when you say the colours are lovely.   It would be lovely to see yours chopin-liszt to see how well they may match up.
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2013, 05:22:12 AM »
For reference, there have been several discussions on the board about the writing style of the word "Mdina" and general time frames, including this one.

Chris, I like your piece. Out of curiosity, how big or small is it?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2013, 09:08:48 AM »
Interesting that both examples of the decor in this thread have paper labels, so date is likely to be 80s or before it seems. We don't see many examples so perhaps it turned out to be too expensive a process, iridescent finishes are usually popular so I imagine it was not due to a lack of sales.

Chris's piece looks like a perfume bottle sans stopper.

John

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2013, 09:39:08 AM »
Actually bought it last Summer John as a perfume (see album title) been looking without success for another regarding style of stopper.
Its just 3.5" high.                                                                                           

Similar? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Small-Iridescent-Purple-signed-Mdina-Medina-Art-Glass-cube-bottle-Vintage-Retro-/380635885595?nma=true&si=P%252BUT6p0%252FyJxGPGsjcVXxLF7Yguc%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Chris

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2013, 10:06:42 AM »
Most Mdina perfume stoppers are elongated drop shapes (but bound to be exceptions), like this more modern example: http://thumbs1.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/m7-LKKMchrxbL-2LYZc97vg.jpg

John

The piece in your link Chris looks like 'one of those exceptions', a similar finish looks to have been used but on a more 'basic' shape. The construction does not look as complex as yours - fewer added spots and trails.

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2013, 10:36:33 AM »
I hadn't realised there were other people putting the writing on the bases,  I assumed the maker / artist did that. :(
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2013, 11:12:20 AM »
It's well-documented that, particularly in the Harris days, but also in the few years following, that all finishing off, putting marks on, etc, was dependant on there being staff time and equipment available to do so, everybody mucked in.
This why there are bits with Dobson's and MH's writing of the mark as well as just about anybody else who was around and could do it.
It's also why some cut-ice lollipops are not cut and why so many bits are not marked at all.
Mdina written on the base is merely the Mdina factory mark, no indication of maker.

I've stated several times here, but it bears repeating  :)  that I did once try to identify all the different "hands" I could find in earlyish Mdina marks... but that I gave up when I got to around 25.
It really didn't help that they had been trying to make them look similar.  ::)

I do associate this triangular shape of perfume bottle with being quite late - and beyond the time-line of my interest.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand