No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ID?  (Read 1969 times)

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
Re: ID?
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2013, 08:29:08 AM »

Hi mildawg.

Thanks for the images - some interesting canes, of good quality. I do not see any 'complex' canes though - ones that have been made by bundling canes together, re-heating, and re-drawing.  The canes could be Old English, but I think it is easier to rule out factories than to home in on one. I do not think it was made by Arculus, Walsh Walsh, or Bacchus.  It reminds me a little of the paperweight shown below: this includes a green 'Queen's Head' cane which has appeared in a few Richardson pieces. But the rest of the canes do not look like known Richardson canes.

It could be that the paperweight you show and the one I have shown are from an as yet unidentifed factory (there are many Stourbridge and Birmingham factories who may have made paperweights).  Factories opened and closed and changed ownership frequently in the mid 19th century, and the stock and glassmakers moved from one factory to another. So I suspect canes made in one factory got combined with and used in others.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline mildawg

• Members
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2013, 01:59:49 PM »
Alan, there are a few complex canes. but they are hard to photograph.  Here are a couple. Most seem to incorporate the blue cane which contains a star inside a star at the center.  The last one is a partial of three red stars.  There is what appears to be an errant white speck there that oddly enough is shaped like the queens head.  I don't believe it is. 

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2013, 02:47:15 PM »

Hi mildawg.

Thanks for the additional images.  It is possible that the little shape you show just might be a 'queen's head', of the simple style used by Richardson - but that wouldn't help a lot with ID!  I have added an image below of an Old English paperweight that I own which has some canes rather like the weight we are discussing.  Mine is a magnum, and at the moment from an 'unknown maker'.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand