No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Set of 4 EAPG Help needed to ID  (Read 541 times)

Offline Vint

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Glass / Crystal
    • USA
Set of 4 EAPG Help needed to ID
« on: May 22, 2013, 03:33:02 AM »
I need help identifying a set of glassware. I usually love identification puzzles but this one is making me weary. I am at a loss on this set. I seem to remember seeing them as a child but I cannot remember where. I am pretty sure that they are EAPG or Pattern Glass. There are three seams (well hidden). Glasses are 6 5/8" high. 3" in diameter at top. On the front there is a shield like pattern within it there is an embossed frosted image of a woman depicted from the bust line up. No makers marks. Some bubbles in the glass itself. Possibly peanut butter jar / glasses? Celery vases maybe? I would really appreciate any help with this puzzle.
Thanks all in advance,
Vint

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
Re: Set of 4 EAPG Help needed to ID
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 04:52:58 AM »
Welcome to GMB, Vint!

Your glasses are for coffee or beer and most probably of Bohemian origin, around 1900. They belong to a set of 4 (or 6?) glasses each showing a different face, very collectible  :)

Here's my partly gilt example, definite maker still unknown, however, I tend to believe they were made by S. Reich, Teplice.
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Vint

• Members
    • Glass / Crystal
    • USA
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 05:19:14 AM »
Hi Pamela!
Thank you so much for the warm welcome. I have been perusing the site and have already learned so much! My glasses look almost exact to your partly gilt example except for the top. Mine only have a single band. Would there have been differing top styles? Or are mine possibly reproductions? Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to my request for help. The info you have provided has me intrigued.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 07:29:49 PM »
The tops are the same; it's the gilt bands that make them look different

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Vint

• Members
    • Glass / Crystal
    • USA
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 07:07:10 PM »
This is wonderful! Very exciting! My Grandmother was from Poland, my Grandfather Germany. I am wondering if it is at their home that I saw these as a child. Thank you both so much. I have done a pretty extensive internet search given the new information and have not found others. Are there any suggestions as to how to assess their value? 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand