No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Whitefriars/Stevens & Williams Vase?  (Read 751 times)

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
Whitefriars/Stevens & Williams Vase?
« on: May 27, 2013, 11:31:15 PM »
Can anyone help me identify this greyish small vase. The vase weighs approx. 170g.  The height 7.4cm.  The polished pontil is approx. 3.2cm at widest points.  Within the pontil are.............. what looks like ground tool markings that are also in line with markings to the outer edge of the pontil.  The markings would in  my opinion, not be caused by being on a relatively flat surface.  Just Between the curved base and the pontil,area, there is markings which I am finding difficulty in reading.  I think the markings read H86Y/75.  The H may be 4, but not sure.  I had to enhance the visibility of the characters in order to obtain a better picture.  I hope these pictures are sufficient in assisting you with your investigations. Thanking you in anticipation. :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
Re: Whitefriars/Stevens & Williams Vase?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 11:33:45 PM »
Additional pics.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 11:35:24 PM »
Not seen markings like these on WF's or S&W's,maybe Scandinavian? have seen numbers and letters on glass from there, ;D

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 11:45:52 PM »
Hi Keith,  I was a bit sceptical about being Whitefriars but had no way of checking, due to the instability on certain pages within the Whitefriars site.  Stevens and Williams I did think of.   I am aware that Keith Murray made similar types of vases, but like you have mentioned, the markings are a bit of concern. ::).

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 09:02:09 AM »
Made by Boda, designed by Erik Hoglund in the 1950s, hence the engraved H for Hoglund, pattern number 864, size approx 75mm (as this pattern was probably made in different sizes).

John

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 10:36:35 PM »
Thanks John!   I Have not heard of E Hoglund until now.  Since, per your info.  I was able to find information that maybe useful to current and new members on the GMB site.  The thread holds lots of information and Ivo provides a site of interest too.  The colour description for the vase on Ebay is Amethyst, but I am not too sure of the name for the colour of mine, even though I have described it as a greyish colour.  The pictures posted are a true reflection of the colour I have described though.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SIGNED-Boda-Erik-Hoglund-Swedish-Scandinavian-vintage-amethyst-glass-vase-Kosta-/380640764244?pt=UK_Art_Glass&hash=item589ff52154#ht_3359wt_932

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php?topic=398.0

I also found this site below of interest too, which clearly displays the same pattern no. vase, like the one you have mentioned.  The size of the vase on this site is slightly smaller.  This can be found  on their item no. 5135B, which is just over 3/4 of the way down the page:

http://www.starkeld.com/showprod3.asp?cat=323

Once again, thanks very much for you help in identification. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand