No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mills, Walker & Co of Wordsley basket  (Read 3948 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Mills, Walker & Co of Wordsley basket
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2013, 01:55:47 PM »
wow, thank you so much!
There are three pieces that jumped out at me there
1) their introduction of Coralene glass - I'd love to see some of their products.
2) the purchase of the Albert Glassworks by W.H. Swingewood
'L & S Hingley continued to trade until 1948, when the Albert Glassworks was advertised for sale. A buyer was promptly found in the firm of W.H. Swingewood & Co. Ltd.'

is Bill Swingewood the W.H. Swingewood?
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,51178.msg290082.html#msg290082

3) The difficulties of the glass industry/their glass company in the latter 1800's and the tragic impact on two of the parties involved.
m

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2013, 03:32:47 PM »
Thank you!!  ;D

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2013, 04:01:22 PM »
Indeed - thanks - that is an impressive labour of love you have undertaken, Agincourt!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2013, 05:44:43 PM »
flying free, I’ve no idea if Bill Swingewood and W.H. Swingewood are one and the same but here is a more complete quote from page 452 of Jason Ellis’s book:

“In common with so many other businesses, L. & S. Hingley struggled through the depression years and the period of the Second World war. The firm survived until 1948 when the glassworks was advertised for sale. A buyer was promptly found in the firm of W.H. Swingewood  & Co. Ltd. that had operated in a small way in Dial Lane for the previous twelve months. The directors were Mr H.A. Marler and Mrs A.E. Marler, both of whom were local publicans. H.A. Marler ran the Bulls Head in Wollaston and A.E. Marler ran the Vine in Blackheath. The old twelve-pot furnace had not been used since the time of the First World War and as part of a modernisation programme the cone and furnace were demolished on 28th January 1949. A new glasshouse was built and part of the old premises was adapted as a decorating shop. It is not known how long W.H. Swingewood and Co. Ltd. was in business, but some of the original buildings are still standing today” - [written for publication in 2000].

I see from Google maps that, at DY8 4AZ, adjacent to the Red House Glass Cone, and between Bridge Street and the canal running parallel, is a site with light industrial buildings. This is presumably the site of the Albert Glassworks and the site occupied by the W.H. Swingewood buildings. I must have a poke around the area the next time I visit Broadfield House and the Red House Glass Cone.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2013, 05:54:04 PM »
oh thank you!  :)
I'll have a look round the board and see what further information was available on Bill Swingewood - William Swingewood and try and link the threads in a separate post.
m

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2013, 12:55:40 PM »

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2013, 09:29:52 AM »
oh thank you!  :)
I'll have a look round the board and see what further information was available on Bill Swingewood - William Swingewood and try and link the threads in a separate post.
m

This has some useful info M:
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,14041.msg290716.html#msg290716
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2013, 06:36:40 AM »
Thank you Anne :)  I'll try and find the other threads and link them all together and see if there is a timeline link between the companies.
m

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2013, 08:45:59 PM »
This is probably an example of the type of vase referred to by Christine in the opening post of this thread

Managed to ID this at Broadfield House, where there is a similar thing but with acorn feet and no handle (registered design).

The base has an engraved RD 19742 (registered 23 December 1884) within a ‘registry lozenge’ frame.

(Permission for the re-use of these images on the GMB granted by antscollectables).

Mills, Walker & Co. also registered RDs 19740 and 19741 on the same date .

Jenny Thompson (page 131) gives the following design descriptions:
19740  Acorn and leaf running round article made in glass;
19741  Acorn and leaf supporting article made in glass;
19742  Acorn and leaf.

Fred.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand