No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Window cut weight with butterfly and signature  (Read 2873 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Window cut weight with butterfly and signature
« on: June 04, 2013, 02:32:25 PM »
not my area, but I can see the fascination with these things - not the least of which is they don't take up much space.

What looks to be a Clouded Yellow painted on a white ground with five windows plus the top facet - came from a boot sale last year some time.
Although I don't especially collect weights, I'm aware of the name R. Annenberg  -  and the signature on this one does look vaguely similar - and it does have an upper case R. in front.           Following the name there is a year date of  '1999' then 'No. 1'.
The windows have been very well cut and polished, and the pontil scar which was on the underside of the white base has been removed with care.             Diameter is about 3.25" maximum.

Grateful if someone is able to advise if this is from that person or not, and thanks for looking. :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline daveweight

• Members
Re: Window cut weight with butterfly and signature
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 03:51:48 PM »
HI Paul,
This is one of the transfer weights made by Whitefriars and is easily identifiable from the button is the base which was created by the method they used to make their paperweights. Basically Whitefriars bought some heat resistant transfers and set these of a white glass enamel base then encased them in clear glass. They made these just before they closed and I understand only around 130 of these weights were made so they are very collectable and reasonably valuable. Although I have seen a few I have never seen a signed one before. Hope this helps
Dave

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 04:19:14 PM »
Ray worked at Cambridge Glass for a while before starting up on his own.
I know he made Elephants and paperweights and signed them but it was a short lived venture in 1999 maybe this is one of them because the date doesn't tie into the ones made at Whitefriars which were late '70s

Chris

Offline Patrick

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 04:24:51 PM »
Hi,
 Yes that is certainly Ray's signature.

Probably one he made for a friend.............

Regards,

Patrick. :) :) :)   

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 06:43:24 PM »
Dave, Chris and Patrick...........  my sincere thanks for the prompt and very imformative replies.           It was the butterfly that appealed to me intitially - I've been interested in them since a teenager - and having bought the weight I then saw the signature.            your help is much appreciated. :)

Offline Patrick

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 08:50:58 PM »
They made these just before they closed and I understand only around 130 of these weights were made

This weight was not made at Whitefriars and in my opinion would not be as valuable as a factory made example.

Regards,
                   Patrick.

Offline daveweight

• Members
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 04:06:21 PM »
I would be very interested to know how you are so sure this weight was not made at the Whitefriars factory Patrick, looks fine to me and identical to all the others I have come across so I wondered how you came to this conclusion ?
Dave

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2013, 04:36:05 PM »
Maybe I am missing something? it's definitely Ray's signature dated 1999? when Ray was working for himself, the elephants he made at the time were dated 1999.
We know the ones that were made at Whitefriars were around 1978.
As neither of you have commented on my observation I ask, " Patrick why do you say it could have been made for a friend"? and David how do you tie it in to ones made in 1978 to 1999 date? do think  it's not a date at all and that's a red herring?

Chris

Offline Patrick

• Members
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2013, 04:57:23 PM »
I would be very interested to know how you are so sure this weight was not made at the Whitefriars factory Patrick, looks fine to me and identical to all the others I have come across so I wondered how you came to this conclusion ?
Dave

Hi Dave,
 Sorry I have been slow to reply.
 I spoke to Ray yesterday and he confirms that he made it at Basil Loveridge's small glass house in 1999. I described it exactly to him and he remembers making some. If you look at the pontil you will see that it is not a Whitefriars piece ( just in case you do not believe the date )
All best wishes,
                     Patrick.
Ps. I can also add that those made at Whitefriars were the work of Ronnie Wilkinson...........

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2013, 02:55:35 PM »
And even slower to reply to me even though I was pretty much right but there you go ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand