No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Could this be an American Brilliant Cut Glass Bowl ?  (Read 5518 times)

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
Could this be an American Brilliant Cut Glass Bowl ?
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2006, 09:37:59 PM »
I have had a couple of other opinions about my bowl one is that it could be J Hoare 1890/95 and another is that its is quote
( Your bowl definitely has typical American Brilliant Period characteristics. Unfortunately it is on of those patterns that looks like so many others and I can't easily steer toward one particular pattern or company. If I had to guess I would say it may have been one of those items that was sold in major jewelry stores and cut buy a major company for them. It is probably a real good bowl in person and is what could be considered definitely better than average.)

also does anybody know how much of this glass came over to the Uk or are the pieces that are to be found just very few and far between  

roy

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KarenR

• Members
Re: Could this be an American Brilliant Cut Glass Bowl ?
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2008, 07:01:30 PM »
Roy - American Brilliant period cut glass was exported to Europe.  Doing some research recently I came across an article by the American consul in Stuttgart Germany in, as I recall, the early 1900s stating that American cut glass supplied to retailers there sold out quickly and requests for more were not being responded to expeditiously. 

I'm in the US in California and recently bought a pair of Hawkes "Teutonic" vases on eBay from a seller in Yardley Hastings, UK.  Interestingly, neither is signed, unusual as Hawkes was good about signing their glass and I know exactly where a vase would be signed by them.  Another collector told me that either the signature had been polished off or that it had been exported through Canada to Europe and that the signature was requested to be omitted.  There was also a couple of decades early in the American Brilliant period before it "took off" and was preferable to European cut glass during which retailers did want to state their glass was American made, here and abroad.  It would make sense in that scenario also to request a signature mark be omitted.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2008, 09:27:53 PM »
Karen thanks for that

I had also been told that Brilliant cut glass was exported , and that possible retailers may have asked for the glass not to be signed, one reason why so few pieces that I have collected are not signed, I do have a very nice bowl signed Hawkes as well as 2 Canadian pieces signed.

The bowl on this post which started me collecting has since been identified thanks to Warren Biden as being made by the Buffalo Cut Glass Co , Niagra pattern

Karen I would be interested in seeing a picture of the vases you bought as I only live about an hour away from Hastings, although I only buy pieces from fairs as I do enjoy the hunt for pieces at fairs

Roy

Offline KarenR

• Members
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2008, 09:51:25 PM »
I need to get the Buffalo catalog, amongst many others :)

The quickest way to show you the Hawkes Teutonic vases is to post a link to the completed listing   From what I heard from several other collectors, a pair of small vases in this pattern was a special find, even with the crunched tooth to the one.  The other is perfect.  The seller's pictures were adequate to identify the pattern.  Warren Biden has a Teutonic candlestick posted on his web site for sale.  I was prompted to search eBay UK just from the ABP glass I've seen you and others find in Europe and I still search eBay UK.  Via Royal Mail it only took five days to get to me and the seller did a great job with packing of the vases.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260294212445

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2008, 10:22:01 PM »
Thanks for the link, a nice pair of small vases, a little bit similar to this one my wife bought in a charity shop a few months ago. To be honest I thought it may be more likely to be Bohemian rather than ABP, not sure what you may think. Excuse the poor quality pictures which I have just taken

thanks Roy

Offline KarenR

• Members
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2008, 11:07:17 PM »
The zipper cutting (usually notching) on the stem is unusual for ABP cut glass but one reason this glass addicts so many collectors for a life time is that there is ALWAYS something new to discover or learn about, and always something popping up that has not been seen before.  The fans above the larger hobstars are also a bit unusual. 

I don't see anything about your sweet pea vase that favors Bohemian origin.  I'd look to Meriden first because of the flashed hobstars.  Were you wondering if it was something like Yasemin cut glass?  They imitate ABP cut glass and I have a quite respectable quality large jug signed Yasemin I bought impulsively from bad pictures.  It was too interesting to return.  I have shown the hobstar on the bottom of it to some advanced collectors of ABP - they thought it was an American cut hobstar.  Yasemin blanks are large and instead of a defined pattern adapted to the shape of a blank, Yasemin simply uses motifs without organization until blank space is filled up.  Some Val St Lambert cut patterns around 1900 are similar to those used by American cut glass companies. 

It's probably another thread in itself but I wonder if, after American cut glass became preferred world-wide, there were attempts to copy it in Europe.  Looking through book and newspaper archives I have run across the term "brilliant cut" glass in England.  Was such glass made in Europe during the American brilliant period?

Offline KarenR

• Members
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2008, 01:21:20 AM »
Roy, please see your email for a picture of a compote/sweet pea vase that I think matches yours. 

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2008, 11:31:44 AM »
KarenR  thank you very much

Some more pictures of the sweet pea vase, it looks spot on to me , my wife actually bought this for about £1.50 from a charity shop about 6 months ago, I was not that impressed at the time as I did not think it was ABP plus it does have one tooth missing, I think if I had seen it in the shop I may have left it behind,
Ps I have one other bowl for you to look at which I will start a new post

Many thanks Roy

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2008, 10:25:20 PM »
Karen emailed the ad to me, too, and I agree it looks like a match.  Too bad it doesn't say who made it!
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Offline KarenR

• Members
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2008, 10:36:23 PM »
The piece was almost certainly cut by Meriden, a class cutting subsidiary of International Silver Company.  I suspect it is Meriden's Plymouth pattern but there are not clear examples in catalog reprints or pictured glass to be sure.  Adding a bit more weight is that the research notes state Plymouth was introduced in 1905, the year of the ad. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand