No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Glass lamp possibly German 1980's?????  (Read 773 times)

Offline bOBA

• Members
Glass lamp possibly German 1980's?????
« on: May 30, 2013, 09:15:53 PM »
Hi all...

I am looking for an attribution for this odd lamp. It could be an adapted vase. I am thinking it is at least thirty years old based on general wear, patina to brass top, age of plug etc.. It has a properly drilled hole in the top under the metal (possibly brass) plate. The hole seems to house a nut from the metal fixing that does not touch the glass. It weighs about 2.5KG. Zwiesel has been suggested or maybe Ingrid. The quality is excellent, making me very confused about the origin of the thing. I think the principle of making it would have been an upturned vase but the quality of finish looks to me like it was built to be a lamp. Quite odd and the manufacturing techniques, polishing etc. seem quite like a decent factory........
I am intrigued by this piece in that such a complex piece ought to have an obvious attribution. If anyone has seen this exact pattern before, either as a vase or lamp (!) I would be interested to hear about it!

Robert (bOBA)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Glass lamp possibly German 1980's?????
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 07:46:54 AM »
Do you think it is pressed, or possibly cast?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 10:50:22 PM »
It seems to be the exact same technique as used at Skrdlovice for some Petr Hora designs in the 1980's where he did some sculpture casting and vases with an apparently cast form. Separate colours seem to have been poured into a mould in both cases. This lamp seems as old as the 1980's or perhaps older. I also have Hora Skrdlovice pieces and the technique used seem almost indistinguishable. I attach a photo of the Hora pieces for comparison....  It is an interesting thing and I am hoping an explanation emerges, whether Zwiesel, Scandinavian or other.

Robert (bOBA)

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 02:15:01 AM »
Robert.

I thought Hora when I first saw the lamp. Here's a cast piece by Hora that shoved me in that direction. I even thought Vizner was a possibility as he used the same technique.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013, 03:31:57 PM »
That is a great sculpture too! Thanks David!

Robert (bOBA)

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2013, 10:48:45 PM »
An attribution at last! GMB member Ivo kindly let me know that he spotted a similar piece recently, accurately attributed as “Sargasso” pattern Paul Kedelv för Reijmyre circa 1960.

This Scandinavian forum thread has an interesting archive photo of the design.

http://precisensan.com/antikforum/showthread.php?14761-Reijmyre-Sargasso-ID-Paul-Kedelv-Reijmyre-Sargasso

It looks as though the consideration of the lamp being a vase conversion, as suggested by Ivo at the top of this thread, is also highly likely. The use of vases as lamps by factories themselves is not unknown and the professional style of adaptation, with a bored hole at the top of the vase and high quality fitting, makes me consider this option still as a possibility. In any event, I am really pleased to have a rock solid attribution for the glass!! Thanks again, Ivo....

Robert (bOBA)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand