No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Isle of Wight birds Greenberry and Gooseberry ?  (Read 1126 times)

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
Isle of Wight birds Greenberry and Gooseberry ?
« on: June 11, 2013, 09:27:14 PM »
Both got labels think the right one is Greenberry and the one on the left the much rarer Gooseberry?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Isle of Wight birds Greenberry and Gooseberry ?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 01:02:56 PM »
 :)
I don't know which one is on the left or the right; and I can't actually make out the colours because the pics are backlit.
I do have a couple of mushrooms, one of them Greenberry (it says so on the box it came in, and it was bought from Ron.) I can't remember what the other one is now, but my 2 mushrooms do look as if they might be the same as your birds.

But to be perfectly honest, looking at my 2 mushrooms here in my mitts - I can't work out what the colours are - they are all just goldy-greeny -shiney with splodgy bits. One is more speckled than the other, which has bigger and darker splodges on top.

The book does describe the different colours used in each of the patterns, there are pieces out there that do not conform to any known colourway - I've got a weird coloured oval shaped vase with crinkly top that doesn't comply.
Sorry I can't be of much help.
Summer Fruits is too late for my interest and I pay more attention to whether I like a thing or not, than I do to worrying about what it's name might be.  :-\
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline NMott

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 04:27:52 PM »
I have a perfume bottle in the same colours as your second bird and I'm fairly sure it's Greenberry.
I don't know what your first one is - looks like it's got too much blue. It might simply be that they got the colour mix slightly wrong on that batch.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 05:05:19 PM »
According to the book, (p.118, bottom paragraph on the right hand side)
Gooseberry has a yellow background overlaid with dark green, with red and blue spots and dark yellow canes.
There isn't a description of Greenberry.,
If I hold my (what I think is) greenberry mushroom up to the light, the background looks exactly like the base shown in your pic no.3 down (I don't know which bird is attached to which base in your pics).
It seems to have a yellowy  crackly texture with green. I can make out some green and I think, blue splodges - but there is so much iridesecnt fuming I honestly cannot make the colours out at all.

Another point made in the book is that the earlier bits were not nearly so heavily fumed - (I know my bits are later ones.).
The colours would probably be a lot easier to id if it was an early gooseberry.

Do you have a link to the site (is it) Anton has been making? There might be an example of gooseberry there.
Gooseberry was withdrawn in '94, but the square gold labels just signify the '90s, so that's no use at all.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 06:13:34 PM »
Anton's site, a google or so later.
Quick google later, got anton's site. No pics of gooseberry yet and the greenberry images look nothing remotely like the known Greenberry I have in my mitts - which is far blue-er.

http://iowstudioglass.wikidot.com/summerfruits#gooseberry
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 08:29:06 PM »
The back light was done purposely to try and show the different colour splodges a bit like Oiva Tiokka birds without the light shining through they just look a dull blob?
I will rearrange the photos they didn't quite appear how I laid them out :) though the bluey/green base goes with the bluey/green bird and the green base goes with the green bird ;D
Again it does matter to me that I get right, Goseberry appears to have only been made for 1 year? 1993 and there are loads of greenberry around so I do need to get it right for honesty and accuracy which is important to me.
According to Anton Gooseberry is described pale greenish yellow, dark yellow canes, dark blue, red, olive green and light blue.
Meanwhile greenberry looks a lot simpler, green body with green, dark purple, yellow and white spots.
Which describes picture 2 quite so I have no doubt that is greenberry?
Picture 1 has all the attributes of Anton's description except the body is definitely bluish/green. Is Anton a member? not sure though I did try to join his site but appears it's by invitation only.
Think the best title will be 'summer fruits' bird figurine maybe this is getting quite complicated already :)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2013, 09:34:09 AM »
Unfortunately, when something is backlit you do not always obtain the true colour. you get transmitted lightwaves, not the reflected ones.
for example;
If I backlight a piece of early mdina which has blue overlaid on yellow - the colour that appears is a dirty purple.

If it does not have red splodges, it is not Gooseberry, I would think. Also, given it does appear to be highly fumed (hence us both having the same problems working out the colours at all) it is far more likely to be Greenberry.
Gooseberry, being an early one, will only be lightly fumed - and would be far easier to work out.

I'm afraid you also have statistics against you, chriscooper. It is far, far more likely you have found Greenberry than Gooseberry. The reason Goosebery wasn't popular was the yellowy colour, according to the book.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2013, 10:09:29 AM »
Sue you are right of course about the back lighting, I have just spent a little time 'listening' and 'learning' and hope these new photos are better (I think so)  :)
Still a few issues with the colour's though. In these photos you can see light blue and dark blue, neither are mentioned in the 'greenberry' description?
Notice also the dark yellow almost gold canes which are also not in the 'greenberry' description either? also note the absence of any white or yellow spots which are  in the 'greenberry' description.
Thanks you for bearing with me and hope you agree with observations especially those lovely blues that seem to be absent from the 'greenberry' items?

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2013, 10:50:59 AM »
Those are absolutely great, chriscooper!

I thought it was the other bird we were discussing for green/gooseberry.  :-[
It is a bit greener than the other one in't it? Never mind, on with the discussion.  :)

Neither of my mushrooms has opaque pale blue splodges, and I'm sure the Greenberry one must be the one which is green and sort of speckly. It does not have any white or yellow splodges either, but it came brand new, in its box with the Greenberry sticker on the lid from Ron Wheeler at a fair. It must be correct!
I seem to remember my other mushroom is Mulberry, now I've been thinking about them and studying them. It has big patches of bluey black, and greeny-black but so iridescent it's hard to make colours out at all.

I have managed to find my vase - this bird would appear to be the same colours - but I think the canes you are calling dark yellow-gold are the ones I'm describing as grey/lilac. I've got the vase in front of me and the colour is the same as your pic.

A clear background, overlaid with green, with green and grey/lilac canes (sorry I don't know the official colour name). Splodges of clear dark blue, clear dark green, clear amber and opaque pale blue.

(I've not had the courage to get the camera out for a while, I know I have a load of pics to take.)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2013, 11:02:39 AM »
Will try to post them side by side see if that works better if they are both greenberry there are loads of differences. Maybe need to apply the Nigel Benson rule of thumb?
Does look similar to this one in Suzy's album named Meadow garden mystery mushroom? though she does not say what the mystery is????

https://picasaweb.google.com/guinearescue/SuzySGlass?noredirect=1#5432485256097067250

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand