No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Ornate Scalloped Wall Plaque/Plate I.d Request  (Read 639 times)

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
Ornate Scalloped Wall Plaque/Plate I.d Request
« on: June 12, 2013, 01:03:43 AM »
I've been sifting through some of the glass I have collected over the years and came across this ornate glass plaque.   The artwork looks all hand applied.  The glass appears to be hollow within the centre but this maybe an illusion due to the black and gold paintwork.   Tbh I have not seen anything that slightly resembles this before and at a complete loss as to the real purpose and that's even with my searches.   Within each section looking at the rear of the plaque, I think patterned thin foils have been compressed to make different styles of textures and then decorated over by coloured paint prior to adhering to the glass, somehow.  This would then be coated in black paint.  Well, that's what I think  ::).    As you can see, some of the coating has become brittle and flaked.  The black coating appears to be thickly applied,.......... brush strokes are clearly visible. This however, is not strictly true when you look at the areas that have flaked, as the applied work looks rather thin.   The plaque measures 26.3cm dia. @ longest points which has indicated that it is not a true circle, that is,  having measured other points.  When the plaque base is on a flat surface the rims height is approx. 3.4cm.  The base dia. measures 9.7cm.  I've noticed when viewing the base area, that the divided section areas are not the same, this is also noticeable on the seams that are also different sizes in thickness.  I'm hoping someone will be able to identify this unusual looking piece.  I would be very interested in not only knowing how the artwork has been applied, but the originator and period would be of great help.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
Re: Ornate Scalloped Wall Plaque/Plate I.d Request
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 01:09:12 AM »
Additional pics.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum