No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Etruscan vase bright azure blue opaline c1850,what is the picture,which country?  (Read 35409 times)

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Hercules for sure as he has not only the club but also the lion skin. No clue aboot the rest of the team...

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
is it possible the boy on horseback is Paris?
There is a painting here with Paris on a horse in the background if you scroll down a bit on the page.
I've not worked out what Paris had to do with Hercules yet though or who the wise man? is .
http://www.maicar.com/GML/Hector1.html
if you google pics of Paris mythology, there are some that are depicted looking like the boy on the horse, the curls, the angelic face and the hat.
pic here if you scroll down a little
http://freshmanartsenglish.wikispaces.com/Mythology

I wished I'd studied harder at school  ;D
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
Not sure.....

But first thought was GREEK Mythology too.  Like in this HERE

Those square designs at the bottom in the shape of a square C -- aren't those Greek Designs?

Added:
Like this IMAGE here the C scroll shape
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Offline Jayne

• Members
    • Trinket Sets, Uranium, Varied,
    • England, UK
Nice vase! Yes Rose that's a Greek Key pattern. Has anyone mentioned the guy on the right appears to have a tail?

Edit: Oh wait, is that the lion skin mentioned?
Please help identify Mystery Glass Trinket Sets
https://www.glasstrinketsets.com/Gallery/

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
I think the boy is a woman and hHercules is stealing the belt of Hippolyta

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Thank you all for helping - it's much appreciated, I didn't get anywhere near that in my thoughts until you all stepped in (Keith - Heracles was the lead needed) :)

Christine, I had found this and wondered http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Heracles_gets_the_Belt_of_Hippolyte,_Queen_of_the_Amazons.jpg
and her hat does appear similar. So just to work out what the old man has to do with it now.

Ok, so any thoughts on country of origin now you've all worked so hard for me  :-* 

I have searched for weeks on this and cannot match the shape, with Richardson being the only ones that are similar.
The enamelling doesn't look anything like any of the figural work they did which seemed to be a lot of transfers.
Mr Giller who decorated Webb vases could be another source, but his designs don't look anything like this either and I've not found a single Webb piece that looks anything like this.
The Davis Greathead and Green vases are hand enamelled also but again nothing like this.

I'm still leaning to Russian or Bohemian for the enamelling - perhaps the enameller worked in the UK at this time?.  The shape of the vase pulls me back to the UK, but the colour of the opaline doesn't.  On the other hand there is mention of Rice Harris producing a varied number of coloured opalines a well as Davis Greathead Green.  Yet in all my internet searches over the years I see precious little coloured opalines identified as English (Richardson yellow opaline bottle shape springs to mind but that's it).

m

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
this may be a better picture of the ninth labour. Hippy is wearing her phrygian hat!
http://www.mlahanas.de/Greeks/Mythology/HeraclesAndHippolyte.html

I still think it is French.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Thank you!  much better picture.  And Christine thank you  :-*  So the depiction is one of the labours of Heracles - excellent  :)

ok thinking French... is it possible Baccarat?  I could definitely go with that given the purity of the opaline and the stunning colour.  What do you think about the enamelling?  it's possible that could also be French?  I've not managed to find anything like it, but that doesn't mean it isn't.  The pieces id as French with Figural work on them all seem to be fine art painted and flowery so it's difficult to compare.  I guess French enamellers were considered pretty amazing during that period from what I've read and seen.  And this is decorated deliberately in 'Etruscan' style so won't look like those. 

The big problem I have with identifying French glass shapes of that period, is that it's all 'identified' on the net as French but I'm never really sure it is or whether they are wishful id's.  So I'm not sure what I'm checking shape against if you see what I mean?
Ok, I'll look with different 'eyes' on now.
m

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
I'm not sure Theseus is wearing much  :o

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia