No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Etruscan vase bright azure blue opaline c1850,what is the picture,which country?  (Read 35162 times)

Offline keith

• Members
Very little information apart from who made what,are you referring to the vase on the link above or in general?the pictures in the book are quite small,the vases are in red,white and gilt  also a couple of monochrome transfer printed tumblers,could email you pictures if you'd like,can't promise how good they'd be, ::) ;D ;D

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Thanks, no I was just referring in general to whether there were any piece in there that would be classed as 'Etruscan' glass c. this period.
An email would be great - red white and gilt sounds good.  Are they different to the ones in CH British Glass 1800-1814 please?
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline keith

• Members
Can't see any similar in CH 1800-1914 but certainly Etruscan,will get the camera out, ;D

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
thank you so much :)
m

Offline keith

• Members
Just to add,I've looked at all the links,pictures,googled and searched my books but have yet to find one of this type of vase with a picture on it, ::) I suppose someone will show me one now ! ::) ;D ;D

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
mm, I'm not getting very far with this  :-\
I sent pics and a request to the Corning curator who was lovely and tried to be very helpful and sent lots of information back to me along with saying 'The vase may be by Richardson’s, but without a factory mark on the underside of the piece it is impossible to be certain.'

Unfortunately it was all information I'd already read or looked at, but they did suggest contacting Broadfield House as the Richardson Archives are there.
However on the Broadfield House museum website it says 'Please note that we are currently unable to offer a glass opinion service.'

Would anyone know if there is someone at Broadfield House who might be able to help with looking at the archive for me?  I can give them the rd number from the Corning example and hope that mine dates to around that time which should make it quicker to look up I guess.
m

Offline keith

• Members
Know how you feel and now know why I've not heard from Broadfield House with my Royal Brierley question,why can't they just sign the pieces,grrrr, ::) ;D ;D ;D

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
yup - but if it had a factory mark on the underside then I'd know who made it and wouldn't need to contact anyone  ::)

m

Offline keith

• Members
...and we wouldn't be here now on a forum that wouldn't probably be needed, :o ;D ;D

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
I would appreciate some honest opinions  ;D on my most recent find and observations please?

I know I thought this must be Richardson's because of the shape and the thickness/type of opaline.  However I've not been able to find a match to the colour or the decoration.
Ivo thought it might be French, but again, so far no match in any way.
So I came back round to maybe Russian.  And tonight I happened upon this find.

This is a  black opaline cache pot (that is how it is described) and plate that sold earlier via Christie's - Russian, dating to c.1800/1810(I think Christie's had it as c.1810 Bukowski's as c.1800)
I'm adding the pictures from the earlier Bukowski listing because they enlarge dramatically so the detail can be seen.
It is the first time I've found an Etruscan style piece at all, that has both the half hooped decoration and the consistent meander pattern geometric decoration on it in a similar style as mine, as well as having line drawing paintings of the people - hoorah!!

I can appreciate that whereas my vase is blue opaline, this piece is  black opaline, and also that the painting on this one is onto gilding rather than on the clay coloured enamel mine is on, so it took a bit of imagination.  But I think in spirit, and in style, this decoration is incredibly similar... isn't it?  I think there are similarities also with the way the hair is done, the sinewy bodies, the chin outline and facial features in some parts? 
please click on the picture in the link and it will enlarge and show the detail. 

'A Russian gilt black Etruscan style glass cache-pot with stand, circa 1800.'
[/i][/u]

https://www.bukowskis.com/auctions/559/1209-ytterfoder-med-fat-glas-ryssland-omkring-1800

I'll add some close ups of the people on my vase so you can compare more easily.

I have found one more that has the painted people on and similar geometric half oval border decoration

http://www.christies.com/lotfinder/lot/a-russian-red-and-gilt-decorated-black-smalt-5223947-details.aspx

Any thoughts and views very much appreciated :) and thank you  for bearing with me.
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand