No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Kanawha vs Fenton  (Read 3795 times)

Offline Tripp31

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Italian/Art Vases
    • United States
Kanawha vs Fenton
« on: July 08, 2013, 04:46:51 PM »
I found this white/yellow/orange slag mini pitcher, which I thought to be Fenton. Research yielded similar pieces from Kanawha Glass.

It appears that the two companies produced many similar items. Does anyone know if they were partnered in some way?

Attached is a photo of pitcher, the collection was sold (after collector passed) and contained a lot of high end Fenton and Fostoria.

Based on the collection, I assumed this to be Fenton. Now I believe it's Kanawha, based on a similar style (currently on Ebay)

Any link to Kanawha related sites appreciated - all I found was that when Dunbar shut down in 1953, some of the craftsmen formed Kanawha Glass Company.

Offline cubby01

• Members
    • central USA
    • VintagePursuits
Re: Kanawha vs Fenton
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 03:15:07 PM »
Hi,
All I've ever seen online are short three or four paragraph 'history' of Kanawha blurbs.  It's probably the same that you have seen.  I don't think they partnered, just borrowing ideas trying produce what people would buy.

I think you are absolutely right that your small pitcher/creamer is Kanawha.   But I'm not sure I would call this slag myself.  I generally think of slag glass as pressed glass, with more of a marbleized look, whereas I think your's I believe is blown with swirls of color.  It is a nice little pitcher though.   
Pithy sig withheld

Site in progress: http://www.vintagepursuits.com/

Offline Tripp31

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Italian/Art Vases
    • United States
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 02:48:19 PM »
Thanks Cubby,

Yeah, I found a catalog from 1965 at hxxp://kanawhaglass.com/kanawha-glass-references.htm - (broken link - not sure about rules).......pretty nice pics, but no help on this one. Not much else.

I'm certainly no expert and welcome your info. I guess the closest "look" I found was termed "slag".  Maybe "Hand blown multi color swirl milk glass" for a title.

Regarding the solid orange interior, is there a common term for this technique?

Offline cubby01

• Members
    • central USA
    • VintagePursuits
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 05:35:21 PM »
Regarding the solid orange interior, is there a common term for this technique?

'Cased'
Pithy sig withheld

Site in progress: http://www.vintagepursuits.com/

Offline Fuhrman Glass

• Glass Professional
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 06:07:08 PM »
IMHO: it's Kanawha or Gibson , I used to have one of their old catalogs but sold it a few years ago. Their was also a guy by the the name of Charlie Gibson of Gibson Glass that made some items like this as well. He close about 4 years ago. He had a shop near Blenko Glass for many years. check Kanawha and Gibson on e-bay and you might have some luck in identifying it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand